Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Simulated work environment

Instructors in a Career College setting need to establish an employer/employee relationship.

I can' argue with your basic premise Dan, however, I would be mindful of not coming across to the studen as a autocrat.

I think this is especially true for online students in that writing takes away the audio/visual component of communication. Therefore, sentences can lack inflection and nuance.

One's choice of words and phrases are very important to get across the idea that they have a responsibility to perform successfully in a classroom environment in the same way that they will be responsible in a professional setting.

Good discussion comment! Thanks very much!

creating a work environment is very important to me,simply because you can hopefully make an even playing field for the students,make them feel equal to you or working for the same goal,your asking for thier help to complete the job.just as you would in the field,your the shop forman & thier the techs.

Hi Sidney,
You are right in your approach in trying to set up a business/industry setting for training of your students. They will be there soon and need to know how their career area operates.
Gary

I set up restaurant simulations every chance I get. It works as well as can be expected. I guess though what we are really trying to do is teach basic skills not rest. training.

Hi Gregg,
You are right on target. You are trying to develop a solid foundation for your students from which they can expand their skills and expertise. The simulations help them with the needed knowledge base.
Gary

We start with courses that are designed for the student to build their skill arsenal. The instructors are free to simulate real life situations in whatever manner works within a specific group.

Some groups pick up on this and go right with it while others just don't have the chemistry.

Later in the curriculum we have a course designed around a real life situation, where the instructor is the boss/owner and there is a chain of command.

The students are required to demonstrate what they have learned throughout the entire curriculum up to that point.

Hi Gary,
Sounds like your are trying a number of different strategies to get students involved and engaged in the learning process. You certainly have the bridge between theory and application in place. Keep up the good work.
Gary

I teach automotive and run the lab like the students are actually in the shop. I expect the students to follow guidelines, so if I have to push them to get things done I will. Time is money in this business.

Same here, In the bakery we set it up like it is a banquet event and the students have a deadline to meet for the client and everyday we will change the criteria of the client to adjust to a real world situation.

Hi Joseph,
Real world pressures in an educational setting really help to get the students ready for the "real world". Good job.
Gary

In my day to day classroom, I do my best to create an environment as similar to the real world as possible, including the use of a ticketing and metric monitoring system (spiceworks), and when a service request is made outside the system, I have the students employ their 'soft-skill' to direct a customer to the ticketing system.

EDWARD,
The more you can do this the better. This is what their instruction should be about. You are giving them pre-real world experience in an environment that lets them build their skills and confidence.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment