Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

field trips

One method I uses is what I call shadowing. As mentioned in this topic some of these students come from harsh background and have never worked in a professional environment, so they have fears and anxiety. Probably at times wondering, "what am I doing in school!"

Shadowing is used basically in Professional Development or another business course. I would call one of the local high schools, county court house, or any professional environment. Call and schedule an appointment for 1 hour. Your class is to sit with a professional in one on one. The student may ask questions, walk around with the employee and take notes.

Then afterwards you might want to go eat somewhere or back to class and discuss what they learned.

It is a very rewarding experience to both you and the student. They come out saying, I can do this too!

If you need more information, please write to me.

Hi Margie,
Work Based Learning (WBL) is a key part of the learning process. The use of shadowing is an essential part of this process. Shadowing helps students to see people doing the work they soon will be doing. This is a major part of the transfer process from classroom to the workplace.
Shadowing as you mentioned also gives them an opportunity to see individuals in a positive light so they can develop ideas about what a worker should be like in that setting.
Thanks for sharing this activity with others.
Gary

Margie,

This sounds like an excellent idea. We have taken field trips in the past to let the students see what kind of jobs may be available to them in a non-threatening environment. We are very fortunate to have a non-profit medical facility that allows tours in an open, friendly establishment so I'm certain they would be agreeable to a one-on-one shadowing for a short period of time.

Thanks for the input,

Beth also in Texas

Margie, I agree with you regarding the educational value of exposing students to practical application of the skills that they are learning in class.For example, when the students saw the same pastry items in the dessert case that we were teaching them how to make in class, it reaffirmed to them that their education can truely provide them with the tools that they need to succeed in the work force. We went out for lunch at the local diner and discussed characteristics that we felt made this particular establishment successful. It was useful, helpful and insightful. I also felt that the break in the regular classroom routine was refreshing to all of us. Like your students, my students came away with the same enthusiasm. Thanks for sharing!

just wanted to add that fieldtrips are a great idea. but i make it clear to the class that it has to be earned. for example: attendance/lateness,participation,assignments completed and overall BEHAVIOUR of the class. the word then gets out to the student population,the trips are fun/free lunch included and now the next incoming class looks forward to the same, and now they know what needs to be done and what i expect of them(so far i've had good success with this)

Hi Michael,
Good strategy for using the earning of the field trips as a reward for performance in the class. It is as you say something the students look forward to. Plus, they can learn so much by being out in the field and observing what the professionals are doing. I would think they everyone would want to work hard to earn this opportunity.
Gary

As an instructor at a massage school, I have witnessed the eager anticipation that our students display knowing they will have access into a professional massage office. They have the benefit of seeing what equipment is used, the decor of the room and what kind of relaxation music is played. Some of them also experince the privilege of laying down and receiving a ten minute stress-buster massage.We also go to lunch together outside of the classroom setting which allows me to see the students in a different environment. Generally it is a positive experience for all.

Hi David,
Good way to develop respect for your students by getting to know them in other settings such as lunch. This is a good way to develop rapport with them as well. With respect and rapport your students will be focused on knowing that you care about their success and future.
Gary

We have also seen students make a contact for externships while on a field trip. At the very least the establishment gets to see how eager our students are to learn and if they need help for a function they will call us for some part time workers.

Hi Kathy,
What a great way to show students the bridge and connection between their classes and their future. A couple weeks ago I had a student walk in late, sit down and go to sleep while the HR person for a large firm was talking about professionalism. After the presentation the HR person wanted to know who that student was that walked in late and slept. She, the HR person, said that individual will never get an interview with our company. Later when I shared this with the student she said that was unfair because she was tired that day and wanted to get caught up on her sleep. She said the HR person shouldn't form an opinion of her in the class because that wasn't work setting. Sometimes things like this make you wonder doesn't it.
The fact your students can get out into the community and see what lies ahead of them is wonderful and those contacts can hold their future.
Gary

Sign In to comment