Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Test time limits.

If a student always takes longer than everyone else to complete a timed exam, quiz,or assignment,what should we do? Is it fair to make the rest of the students wait for them to finish? Please help.

Hi Cynthia,
Would please share some additional information about this testing problem. I have not had a problem with students taking excess time and having others wait for them. On test days I have the students take the tests and as they finish they can leave if it is at the end of the class period or they move into the lab to work on their next assignments/projects. This way the students that take longer on tests do no feel pressured and the faster test takers are not sitting waiting for others to complete.
Gary

That is exactly how I would like to do it. Although, at the college in which I teach we are required to keep our students in class unless it is break time. This is hard for me because I want to make sure that my students with special needs get as much time as they need but also I need to be fair to the others.

I have been working with this student to improve her test taking skills. The reason I am concerned about her time is because upon graduation she will have to take a national certification exam which is 240 questions and only 3 hours time allowed.

Thank you

Hi Cynthia,
You make a good point about testing and time. This has been a continuing problem for slow test taking students when they have to take state and/or national exams. They must fit within a a time frame or they are not going to be successful. You are to be commended for your work with the student to increase her speed. This is what I do with my students and have enjoyed moderate to good success. If I find a student that is not able to increase his/her speed I work with them and continue to advise them of the realities of life that will soon face them. Many of them have opted to go into other related career areas that do not require national exams. This is a hare decision but a real one for them.
Gary

I think it depends on whether the student arrived to class on time. If so, you should set a time limit for the test. I like to give my test about 1 hour before the lunch break so if the student needs extra time, they have to take their lunch break. Hope this helps

Hi Marisol,
Good suggestion. This should help reduce some of the concerns students have about time when taking a test. This gives them an "relief valve" should they need it.
Gary

I do this also. I have the faster students begin reading the next chapter or they can leave.

Hey Cynthia,

I can actually relate to this type of situation on a personal level. A family member of mine, is currently enrolled in a 4-year university, but has a difficult time taking exams. The university was made aware of her challenges from the moment she enrolled. She is allowed extra time and has even been given the opportunity to present some exams orally. I think the first step would be to identify if the student has been tested for any type of learning disabilities. Thanks, Elisabeth

Hey Cynthia,

I can actually relate to this type of situation on a personal level. A family member of mine, is currently enrolled in a 4-year university, but has a difficult time taking exams. The university was made aware of her challenges from the moment she enrolled. She is allowed extra time and has even been given the opportunity to present some exams orally. I think the first step would be to identify if the student has been tested for any type of learning disabilities. Thanks, Elisabeth

On the day of a test, I remind the students that their homework assignment is to begin reading the next chapter so that they will be prepared for the next day's class. So those students who finish the test early may either stay in the classroom and begin working on their assignment (or an assignment for another class if they want to) or they may leave the room and use the remaining class time as they deem appropriate. For the adult learner, this provides them the opportunity to decide how to best utilize the remaining class time. If they choose to stay in the classroom upon completing their test, they know they must remain quiet while their fellow students continue working on the test. For the student who is always the last to finish the test, I think it provides them some comfort having other people in the classroom besides just that student and the instructor.

Hi Joanie,
Good strategy. Thanks for sharing this with the other participants. You are keenly aware of the learning and support needs of adult learners and you are practicing how you can meet these needs. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Sign In to comment