Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Cultural diversity

My classes have been very culturally diverse , and on occasion , there may be a bit of a language barrier . These students definitely require some extra attention to ensure that they understand the material . Once they feel comfortable in class , however , they all have been very eager to share their cultural traditions or whatever is appropriate for the discussion . The extra time spent with them really pays off to enrich the class .

Hi William,
Thank you for the words about how through some extra effort both you and your students can progress in the course. The "ah-ha" moments are why we do what we do. Keep up the good work, I know your students are benefiting from it.
Gary

The language barrier seems to be the most diverse problem we have here at our school. We have had some Hispanic's, Germans,Ethiopian's and some other's that I can not remember. Some can speak some English and some a lot. I do the best that I can when dealing with these students and have had a good success rate with graduating them.

I have taught in traditional on ground and nontraditional on ground and online setttings, so I have worked with all diverse groups of students. Since I teach English, the language issue is a major concern. Second-language speakers are willing and able to learn, however, such instruction requires thinking outside the box and inovative methods. Doing grammar exercises will not work since students need to build their knowledge one step and one rule at a time. It can be done with support, care, and constant positive feedback!

Hi Rosie,
Thank you for those comments about working with students that use English as a learning language. As you mentioned it is a challenge for instructors to find the "right" approaches that will help the students. Sounds like you have done this.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

that is correct, we must learn ways to communicate with all cultures.

Hi Lori,
What have you found to be the most effective ways of communicating with students from other cultures?
Gary

Thank you for your words about cultural diversity in your classes. It is very interesting that I am studying this topic right now. I have a small class of 6 students that is culturally diverse and it seems to bother 2 of the students. It has been very interesting to watch how they handle each other.

Hi Lawanna,
Glad to hear that the course content you were in was at a point that you were in your professional work. Hope the information was of benefit to you.
What are some strategies that you use when you are working with diverse students that you would be willing to share with others?
Gary

As nervous as it makes me, I allow them to talk about it and share their experiences. I stay on my toes and am always ready to redirect the discussions if the need arises. Thus far, things have gone wonderfully well.

Hi Lawanna,
Thanks for sharing your approach with us.
Gary

I have between 10 and 20 students all the time and diversity is ALL I have in class. I have students from every race, religion, culture, country and even every part of this town (rich, poor, homeless, shelter) etc. We learn a lot about the other people in class like where they come from and why they do the things they do. It adds another dimension to my class. I teach in the medical field, so when my students go to work diversity is the name of the game. I love this part of my class, we all learn much more than books could teach us.

Hi Gayla,
Well said. Learning for all of us, both teachers and students has to be an ongoing process if progress is going to be made.
Gary

Sign In to comment