Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It's about Competency

Once they enter my classroom, older students are the same as young ones. Why? Because everybody is different. Everybody has goals, needs, requirements. And they are all different. Every single person.

A teacher must be able to reach all of the students. One can argue that each student has different needs; but in truth, despite those needs, the students will almost certainly be taught in a group setting.

For instance, if the only diversity found in a class is age, the teacher will still be unable to focus on the individual needs of each student. If you direct your attention to the needs of the old, then you will be neglecting the young.

The only time teachers have to address each student's individual needs and concerns are the few minutes before and after class.

The main part of teaching is teaching. If you know your subject and if you know how to communicate, then you will be effective. If you want to be a competent teacher, then your method of teaching must be competent.

**Post Edited by MaxKnowledge Administration for Educational Content**

Hi Stephen,
You focused on a very important aspect of teaching and this is meeting the individual needs of each student while teaching the entire class. Your suggestion about the before and after time with students is one approach that can help meet their individual needs and questions.
What are some other ways you have found to meet individual student needs without taking time away from the entire class structure and progress? What are some success stories that you would be willing to share?
Gary

I think it is important to treat everyone the same. But I also like to spotlight and applaud those things that make us different. I recently had a discussion with people from different generations and I listened to the different perspectives and was amazed how everyone listened so intently to each other. They each had their own perspectives and it was very intriguing. I think that same feeling can be achieved in the classroom.

Hi Quiana,
Very well put. By having an understanding and listening to the different perspectives represented in your class you will be tuned into meeting both the general needs of the class and the specific needs of your students.
Gary

Sign In to comment