Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Older students have more job experience

They might not be so good in verbal or scholarly skills but they certainly have the experience in life to learn and adapt

What I have found with some older students is to use their life experience as discussions in the class. I like to start a discussion and then ask the class if anyone has ever experienced this. I have found that some of the younger students really benefit from this.

I think that using the older students' life experiences is a great idea. It is a good way for the younger students to learn. It might even help them understand each others age group a little better also.

Hi Julie,
The key to being a diverse instructor is to use all of the resources available to you. One of those is older student experience. By blending the older students with the younger ones and calling upon their career experiences everyone gets a chance to benefit.
Good strategy.
Gary

I feel that the older students have the people skills needed but need brushed up on their technical skills.

Hi Christine,
When I have more career mature students I make it a point of trying to pull out of them as many of their life experiences as I can to help them feel that they can be successful in my classes and be of help to the younger students.
I also do pairing to help with a cross age understanding of what unique abilities everyone brings to the class.
Gary

We can also learn from our older students

Hi Thomas,
Through your experience what have you to be the most important contributions of your older students? How have they helped the learning process of your younger students/
Gary

Having older students has always been a pleasure. They tend to raise the bar and have a lot of experiences to share. I have found some of the younger students tend to be very engaged in what their classmates have to share. It can give younger students a different perspective than just mine.

As I grow older myself I find that I have more repect and appreciation for people older than myself. Do not hesitate to invole the experiences of your older students to help inspire and motivate your younger students.

I usually have a mix of some older with a greater number of younger students. It has worked out well to discuss in depth just what the older students do in their jobs and how the classes they are taking apply to the job itself and promotion opportunities. The younger students usually understand the motivations.

Hi Steven,
Way to go in blending your student body so both generations can benefit from each other. The sharing of information and experience really helps to develop respect for both groups.
Gary

Older students bring to the table real life experance and I find that they are eager to share this with new students just entering this field. telling students what should be and what it is worth it's weight in gold. Also older students can help validate your experiance's that you use to make certian points when instructing the class

Hi Vincent,
This is a great way to use a valuable asset you have in the class, the older student. Two great things happen, the older student feels more a part of the class and two, the class gets to benefit from their life experiences.
Gary

Sign In to comment