Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Diversity Backgrounds

How do I integrate ESL students comfortably in the lesson plan?

Hi Michele,
This is a tough question to answer since the response depends upon the level of proficiency for the students, their literacy levels within their language, and the course content.
A global suggestion is to break down the course content into small units so the students are not overwhelmed with the work and can feel a sense of completion when they are through with one of the units.
Use multiple deliveries and appeal to all of the senses as much as is possible. Let me them see, hear, handle and apply the new content.
Drill, drill, drill. Going over the material a number of times is of great help. I also use fellow students in drill exercises to help with the learning process.
Gary

My greatest challenge in this area was in a Foundations of Writing course. The students felt overwhelmed at first because they were just learning English and now expected to accomplish what many American high school graduates still don't understand.

I used tons and tons of examples. Every lecture I gave included student participation. I asked the other students to offer their explanations if something I was discussing wasn't making sense to everyone. I found the School House Rocks lessons on You Tube - even though these are created for kids, the entire class enjoyed watching them and they helped! The ADOF and I also found ESL resources outside of school to help the students expand their English.

What is most interesting about my experience with that class is that the ESL students not only banded together, but also they were the students who did the best in the class. They are incredibly motivated to succeed. In my experience, stopping inbetween points to make sure everyone understands and a little cheerleading really go a long way.

Hi Stephanie,
Thank you for sharing this great success story. This should be an inspiration to other instructors that face the same challenges as you. You are doing a great job with your students as evidenced by their success and rapport with you.
Gary

Sign In to comment