Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Turning in Lab projects

The school has set up multiple Lab projects for the students to do during the course but it seems that they are hardly ever turned in on time or not at all. How can you motivate the students when the guidelines are set forth by the school?

Hi Randy,
This is a tough question to respond to. Accountability has to rest somewhere. If the school does not require that the students complete the work then it will not be done. Like water students take the path of least resistance. Are you able to make this work a requirement for your course? If you can take some form of control over completing the work and tie it to course completion then you have some leverage, if not I am afraid it will not be completed.
I would also check with the school and see why the lab projects are set up but not followed up on. See if a school wide policy can be implemented.
Just a few ideas. Will be glad to discuss specifics with you individually if that would be of help to you.
Gary

A couple of things that helps me is to remind the students about the lab assignments daily. Also, make sure and show, during class, what is required from them on the lab assignments by actually performing it while they observe. Let them know that they can always come to you with questions or concerns during the class break or during your office hour.

Hi Craig,
Good points about modeling. You show, they do and progress is made. Learning occurs.
What strategies do you use to remind the students that assignments are coming do or that they need to complete certain projects?
Gary

I have started making assignments due before they clock in the next day. It helps to motivate them to do their work, and since we are a college based on hours, I have seen a 90% increase in assigments turned in on time.
Macy

Hi Mary,
Good suggestion for other instructors. Thanks for sharing.
Gary

I have to agree with Craig. I have begun stressing the turn in dates of Lab projects at the beginning and end of each class. I have also begun asking if everyone is clear on what the project is and what is required. In addition, I am staying at least 1/2 hour after class for consultation, so that anyone who feels inhibited in the class setting can freely express their problem or concerns one on one.
Joe Macre

Hi Joe,
Good approach. You are extending yourself to help make your students successful. I know you will be rewarded for the extra time and effort you are investing in your students by their increased performance. Keep up the good work.
Gary

I actually have scheduled days for lab projects. If a student does not show up for a lab it is an automatic deduction of 20 points. I have lab sheets and I put the students into groups of 4. Labs can not be made up. Students that participate in labs receive 20 points. They are motivated by receiving a grade and by actually having to do "hands on" work in groups.

Hi Jacinda,
Good idea. With your system your students can see exactly where points will come from and how they earn them. They also can see where they will lose points if they don't attend and participate. Good job with the clear expectations.
Gary

hi gary i have found that giving student time frame when the lab is to be turned in, this give them a times table of when it has to be completed. also I make it part of my partication point for over all grade.

I remind my students that it is their responsibility to complete their assignments.
In several of the classes I teach, there is not a specific day a student does a specific task. It is left up to the student to manage their time effectively and complete all of their lab assignments. This does not mean that they are simply cut loose to hopelessly wander through the course tasks. I do check their progress with them at every final check off and ensure that they understand what tasks the have left to complete. As adults, the ability to manage one's time effectively can be just as important as some of the tasks we require of our students for successful completion of a course.

Our courses are set up so that there is generally a test on each one of the lab assignments for the students. One thing I have had success with is having the students complete and turn in their labs prior to the test.

Hi Don,
Is it because they have completed the lab and know the steps of completing the assignment? Do they see more connection between the content and the lab as a result thus higher cognitive retention and better test scores? I am always curious as to how we can get better performance from our students, thus the questions.
Gary

Sign In to comment