Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Disabilities

I've had several students with learning disabilities and others with chemical dependencies. I find those with "physical" impairments are the easiest for me to adjust to.

I'm looking for some ideas on the psychological and learning disabilities like Autism, Asperger's, ADD, ADHD, etc.

Thanks,

Dan.

I have delt with numerous students with ADD the key i found was that for the most part they can only do so much in short periods of time, So I break down their lessons for the into several parts to keep their attention for the short periods.

I am also looking for some ideas on how to deal the extremes of these students

mac

Hi Dan,
The key thing to know about a student that comes into your classroom with a "hidden" disability is what it is and what has worked in the past. If a student does not declare that he/she has a disability then it make it very hard for you to work toward discovery of the disability. If a student has a diagnosed disability they will have had an IEP during their previous schooling. The IEP outlines exactly the kind of support and intervention that is needed for student success. The requirements of the IEP stop at high school graduation or age 21 which ever comes first. In post secondary training colleges have to accommodate students with disabilities to the point that the student can acquire the competencies required of that field. If they cannot then they should not be in that career area. By being able to look at an IEP you and your fellow instructors will be able to see what has worked in the past for that student.
The most common need is "time" for taking tests and completing assignments. This accommodation is fine if it meets business/industrial standards. If the career field requires speed then the student may not be a match for that field.
In the past 6 months I have been in a dozen career colleges training faculty and over and over they have brought up that they have ADD/ADHD students in record numbers in their classes. The students have learned about these two areas and are using them as excuses rather than they being true. To be diagnosed with ADD/ADHD a person has to have an extensive workup involving medical and education personnel. Ask for their letter of diagnoses and see what happens. A person with ADD/ADHD (big difference between these two) requires a number of supports that will enable them to succeed.
I would suggest that you look online or in the literature to form a knowledge base about the above mentioned disabilities. For example, autism has gone from 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 160 diagnoses in one form or another (Aspergers, PDDNOS, etc.)so more students such as these will be coming into the post secondary setting.
Any specific questions let me know and I will try and give you the answers.
Gary

Hi Ed,
Good advice. The key words in the disability are attention deficit. Being able to focus. As individuals with ADD get older they get better at expanding their attention but it still is a challenge for them to keep on task.
Gary

Very helpful. Thanks.

Often I find that students are aware of their problems and also know what works best for them. They often approach me with the issues and the solutions as well.

What I find is that although these students acknowledge understand their problem, they often are helpless in directing and/or controlling their behavior and classroom skills.

I've a few very difficult students... I've learned _a lot_ about the subject matter in Chapter three of this particular ED102. Focus.

Dan.

I can't recall any physically impaired at our school.

We have a "legally" blind student, but he seems to be above average is all aspects.

Hi Michael,
This is usually the case with students with disabilities that enroll in post secondary programs. They have specific career goals and they just need some accommodations and supports to enable them to succeed.
Gary

Also giving them a lab activity to go along with the lesson plan can help.
Sometimes ADD students can benefit from leggos in the classroom setting. Keeping there hands active while listening to the lecture works wonders.

Hi Mark,
As you well know ADHD students need to have an outlet for their energy while trying to learn. By have the something for them to manipulate while focusing their cognitive abilities on the course content is a good idea.
Thanks for sharing this strategy.
Gary

What do I look for in a teacher…

I learn better in an organized positive atmosphere. I learn better when the information is repeated several times and when I feel comfortable asking questions without any fear of being made to feel stupid for asking the question. I learn better when the teacher reads and respects my feelings and attitudes especially since they don’t know me well enough to know how or why I am the way I am. I like teachers who attempt to get to know me. I like teachers that do not judge me but offer to help me accomplish what I am trying to accomplish. I like teachers that respect the fact that I have hired them to do this. I like teachers that watch closely to how I am progressing and communicate with me so I can improve. I like teachers that take the time to get to know me. I like to have a teacher who is talented but humble. I like a teacher who sticks to the program, to the order of business, to making the most of every minute of time we have in class – I like a teacher who works hard at trying to make the class interesting and meaningful. I like a teacher who isn’t looking to make an easy day for himself at my expense. I like a teacher who can push me but recognizes my limitations. I like a teacher who treats everyone equally and with genuine concern for everyone. I like a teacher who respects what he or she does and the place they work. I respect a teacher that doesn’t blame things on someone else or the company they work for. I like a teacher that never talks negatively about another person. I learn better from someone who practices what they preach. I think that most of us look for all or most of these things and maybe a few others when we are the student. It’s very important and necessary to evaluate ourselves and be honest. Am I the teacher that I would want to have? I think that knowing your students on a personal level helps retain students because you know what they are about outside of school. When you know their capabilities it is easier to teach them.

Sign In to comment