Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instrinsic and extrinsic concerns

Hello Gary,

I've considered using an initial student interview to find out what the situation of each student is, in order to better address their needs. In this initial interview, I may ask question about their personal situation, for example, I might ask students during this interview process, if they have special situations, such as being a single parent, or if they work, and can't get here on time. Whatever the situation, it gets it into the student profile. This way I have it on file from the begining, and can evaluate options, or alternatives that can be used to insure success for the for the remainder of the course. What do you think?

Andrés

Hi Andres,
Creating a student profile is a good idea. The only suggestion I would make is to craft the questions in such a manner that they do not appear to be invasive or too personal. Questions, like "Are there any specific ways I can be supportive while you are enrolled in this class?" or "What outside factors do you think will most help or hinder your success in this class?" will help you to get answers.
I also like to do some little exercises at the beginning of the course that help me to understand their academic levels, such as reading. This helps me to plan for additional supports they might need for success.
Gary

Hi Andres,
Anytime you can secure addtional information that will help you help a student succeed is good. Always keep in mind that you don't want to appear to be to invasive with your inquiries. You are wanting to know how you can be supportive and that is very important to students.
Gary

Hello, While I have learned of special needs during the initial interview I am not an advocate of it. My personal belief is that the classroom is an opportunity to assist in the development of a higher level of maturity, becoming accountable, reliable, trustworthy, responsible and obtaing a piece of self-actualization. Does "making alternatives/exceptions" during emotional unusual stress and critical times foster "wishful thinking" and allow/promote rationalization, procrastinations or even buck passing?
Vicky

Hi Vicky,
You ask a very good question concerning providing exceptions for students during difficult times. There is no set rule of course, but I try and use "common sense" when making exceptions to a deadline, etc. I do not want to be "played" by students, and there are those that will try it. In fact I find them at times working harder to avoid work rather than just doing the work. I ask for documentation (Drs note)and create a strict alternative date for the assignment and/or test. Also, after many years of teaching I generally can tell when I have a student in duress to the point I need to make an accomodation.
Gary

I do not want to sound "hard hearted" for I have given and received exceptions. Understanding, support and constructive talking, listening and directional guidance seems to me to be a longer lasting benefit that providing exceptions. Shouldn't assisting the student with problem solving skills have a role in this before making exceptions? I am not saying exceptions don't have a place in teaching because they do---"once in a blue moon."

Hi Vicky,
You are not hard hearted in your approach. You are right on target. That is what working through the situation is all about. In real life we are all faced with problems that seem bigger than us and we have to find a way to wade through them. As students these individuals have to face the responsibility of working through their outside problems and still maintain their student success status. Yes, exceptions do have a place but only in dire situations and with all options explored. Otherwise the students use the exceptions as the standard rather than the standard itself. Meaning, if I the instructor will wave off a deadline or assginment with ease then the students know they only have to whine a bit and they will be given an exception. We must hold the line since we are preparing our students to enter and succeed in a career field and as we all know there are few exceptions given if success is going to be achieved.
Gary

Keeping track each students needs is important, as each are unique in their place in life and it's situations. I am very alert to body language and how they feel.Being very honest and straight forward always works best, for example reading out loud, just ask who is not comfortable.Empathize and let the others who like to read do it. Taking notes ask..and give them an outline to help out.Giving a speech can cause alot of stress..encourage them and remind them all their turn is next so be supportive and give good feed back. Every person has a different way of learning. It teaches them to be very supportive of each other, and be a group.

Hi Rebecca,
You are doing many things to keep your students engaged and progressing in their learning. Any supports you can provide will help your students have success and that is why it is an honor to be a teacher. The opportunity to help students achieve their dreams.
Gary

Sign In to comment