Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe that the phone call method can be effective in numerous cases. I believe that consistency is key with this method. If we call once, and then cease for a period of time, the effort can pass seemingly unnoticed. I am encountering difficulties in assembling a solid Team that can be efficient in completing phone calls that accomplish our Objectives. We are presently in the beginning stages of developing our Retention Procedures, and as the new Director of Retention, I can not perform this responsibility on my own. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, John

Hi John,
You have a good start. The key to retention is the relationship your faculty has with their students. If you are making calls I would suggest that you have the faculty make calls to their missing students. I know this takes time, and that faculty may not want to make the calls but I have found them very effective. The point is that the instructor of the student cares enough about their success to give them a call, this has a real impact on students. Faculty can be given some release time or other such arrangements to make them feel that this effort is not just an "add-on" to their work load without some recognition of their efforts.
When faculty call they can talk specifically about the course and the student's needs and this really helps those students on the fence as to whether they are going to return or not.
Good luck with this effort.
Gary

I have been priviledged in the past 5 years to be teaching adult students who are mostly self-activated to learn the materials and apply it to their work world. This aspect is an integral part of the cpourse structure and a requirement of their success in achieving both their advanced degree and approval from their team mates and work supervisers who are directly involved in the course materials and objectives. We have an "agreement" to inform the instructor of an impending absence from class so that appropriate "make-up" work can be assigned if the instructor or the course curricula deems it required. In this aspect I rarely need to contact a student EXCEPT in the case of an unknown absence of the student. In this instance I will get in touch with the student, usually by email soon after class, as the student is most probably not accessible by phone (many of my students are military.) I ask about the absence and inquire of the "problem" for the absence. Almost all of the reasons for the student not coming to class has been of an "external" support reason and not of the students own motivation. Knowledge of the reason not only helps me identify what materials the student needs to additonally prepare for the next class/session he/she will attend, but also give the student another internal and esternal support system that helps the student become less frustrated in his "problem".

Hi Herschel,
Your approach is no nonsense with opportunity for understanding. This I think reflects well on what we are doing in preparing our career college students. They need to be responsible yet have knowledge that there is understanding by the instructor when needed. As adults we know that life has a way of breaking in on what we are trying to do sometimes (child care, illness). By working with our students we can help them be responsible and yet provide them with enough relief to allow them to attend to what ever needs that they have.
Gary

Sign In to comment