Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When the "light comes on"

I have had some students who just don't get it. I sit down with them and explain it in different ways and you can see by the look on their face when they get it. The Light comes on"

Seeing the "light come on" is probably the best part about being an educator.

It's hard, but as instructors sometimes we have to do our best to find that light switch in that student. In other words, find what instruction works best for that student.

Steve,
So true. This is what keeps us coming to the classroom over and over again. Just when we start to wear down a bunch of light bulbs come on and we get all fired up again and realize we are making a difference in the lives of our students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Choppy,
Isn't that a great feeling? This is why we do what we do. This is our legacy to the next generation of students. We are helping to turn light bulbs on over and over again.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It's a lot of fun when all the light bulbs come on in a classroom and you can see the reaction in your student faces.

Gary,
Right you are. These "ah-ha" moments are what keeps us coming back to the classroom.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I am fortunate to have many classes that have a lecture and lab/clinic component. I find when students can apply the knowledge in the lab portion the light seems to come on sooner and the knowledge is retained for longer.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. There are so many times when I am walking a student through specific exercise and the minute that "ah ha" moment comes across their face is still the best feeling ever.

Sheila,
This is the key to a lot of learning. When they can apply their newly acquired knowledge they remember it and are able to apply it to other settings.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

iagree i have done this too and when you see it it's a good feeling too that you got through to them

Timothy,
The "ah-ha" moments are what keeps us coming back to the classroom day after day.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It truly is the greatest feeling. It's actually great when you have a struggling student and the light comes in. I find that students that "get it" off the bat are lost amongst the students that do not get it. You have to make sure each student receives equal attention. So tough!

I know what you mean, I will eplain several different ways and they look like deer in the headlights then all of a sudden it hits them.. Awesome feeling knowing you are changing lives

David,
Yes, those "ah-ha" moments in teaching are what keep us coming back. When you know one of your students has got it after a struggle to understand a concept then you feel like you have won big.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

John,
Truly an awesome feeling. Makes all the prep work worth it.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When the light comes on it's an awesome feeling for the student as well as the instructor. I have seen students work really hard to retain information and when I see them finally get start to get it this makes my heart melt.

That is so true. It is imperative teaching vocational nursing school that students have these moments on a regular basis or they will struggle with state boards. Theory combined with clinical experience contributes to these moments.

I too have been blesed to see the light come on. And I always relay to my students how proud of them I am and how when I was student and drew blood for the first time, just how proud I was. Somewimes it's tough but, oh how wonderful it is to see them shine under the light!

Rita,
The light coming on is why we keep coming back to the classroom.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment