Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is why I do this...nothing is better than having a student finally "get it". In dental hygiene there are multiple opportunities to see this gratifying expression.

Dawn,
This is what keeps instructors coming back to the classroom over and over again. The rush of learning is something we all live for. We are impacting the lives and future of our students. This is a powerful and most important legacy.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I teach an electr9ical diagnostics course that involves a concept that most technicians find difficult to understand easily, most likely due to the fact that we cannot pass around electrons for the students to touch and feel (it will burn a hole in their hands). I see many students struggle with the concepts of the different test methods and initially most students simply follow the "monkey see, monkey do" routine and through repeated review of test methods and expected outcomes and component function, they build a better understanding and increased comfort. I take great pride in guiding the struggling students to the moment the light bulb comes on and they realize just how simple it really is. This is a "chest thumping" moment for me.

Michael,
Keep thumping your chest because when the light bulb comes on over the heads of students it is such a great feeling for educators. This is what keeps us coming back to the classroom/lab year after year.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The light! I didn't want to be a teacher when I was growing up. As a matter of fact, I thought it would be too hard dealing with students. I saw the tough times they my instructors. If we could turn back the hands of time and keep the knowledge we have today. I wager that I would want to be a teacher. Everyday you get the make the lights come on in the minds of your students.

Vickie,
The light going on is what draws many of us back to the classroom or lab day after day. It such a rewarding feeling when you know you have had an impact on the lives of your student, not to mention you have helped to shape their future.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think this is the single biggest joy of being an instructor. I call it the "ah hah" moment. The best teachers I have had in the past, are the ones that can create, foster, and encourage these moments.

Sagar,
I agree. These are the times I live for. A light bulb coming on or a "ah-ha" moment gets me all fired up and really excited about being a teacher and getting to impact the lives of my students. Good point to encourage other instructors.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This is one of the reasons that I feel repetition is the key to helping the students learn and remember the task...so in my class we will do things over and over and over again.

CORY,
I do the same thing with key items or procedures to make sure my students have this information and the steps burned into their minds for use throughout the course and later on when they are in the work place.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment