Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I always meet the student where they are and build upon that. I keep in mind they are going to school specifically to find a job.I try not to include anything that will not facilitate that process while trying to meet the course objectives.

When teaching, I like to review on the previous knowledge that they have received in previous class and apply to what they are about to learn. Bringing in life experiences also helps as this helps the students understand more clearly the subject matter that is being taught to them.

HI Dennis,
This is the key to being a good instructor. Finding where the students are and then building on that base keeps them engaged and focused on the course outcomes.
Gary

I teach at a law school, so hopefully the students understand the relevancy of the required courses that I teach. When teaching professional skills courses, we always have an assigned "case problem" that we work through over the course of a semester. In addition, to discussing the assigned case, I regularly ask my students to consider a hypothetical set of facts and then ask them to employ the skills that they are being taught to the hypothetical. I also bring in a guest lecturer and ask students to take a 'field trip' to the local court to see practicing attorneys argue motions (this, before they are required to draft and argue a motion for one of their graded assignments). Connecting the course content with "field trips" and the occasional guest lecturer assists me in trying to keep the material exciting and relevant.

Hi James,
Thank you for sharing your content retention strategy with us. You are providing different opportunities for your students to see the value of and apply their newly acquired knowledge.
Gary

I teach in a nursing program, so it is easy to find ways to make instruction relevant to what the students expectations are. I often ask questions, starting with, if you had a patient that presented with ..., what would you do?

I agree, I've had students ask more questions and learn more when I get them to research the answers on their own. I also think teaching to research their own answers will help them later in their career than anything else. There won't always be instructors around to ask.

If for example, you're talking in theory of how to properly make a cased sausage and then go into the very specifics of such, you can then tie your lecture into practical application during your demo. Thus, creating relevance and in turn, retention by showing the students how the theory relates to real world and or practical application. One cannot suffice theory for practical application in any field, although, both are essential.
Bruce

Victor,
Being able to research and find answers individually is a skill that students need to develop. You are right on with comments about them needing to solve such problems and/or answer questions on their own since that is what the bulk of what all of us do in our field currently.
Gary

Bruce ,
Yes, a balance is essential for the maximum growth to occur for a student.
Gary

If you can tie what you are teaching to a real life experience and, the success of your experience was due to what you are teaching.

Our program requires our students to "work in the field" and apply their theory knowledge and training skills. I also discuss many personal examples where the information I am discussing has been useful to me in the workplace. Students seem to be very insterested in what actually may apply to their future employment scenarios.

As a psychology instructor I attempt give as many real-life examples and illustations in terms of how to apply the study of psychology to life situations. Students learn, retain and apply the informaiton they llelarn when it has a practical value.

It seem like if the NEED to know it they will pay more attention. So by relating the matterial to their lives or chosen profession they will excell more easily

Elias,
Two words come to mind after reading your comments. Application and relevancy. If you can help students see both of these words in action they are going to be engaged in the learning process.
Gary

Dennis,
Good point. The more relevance and application they can see to the content the more value they will attach to the content.
Gary

I tend to teach core classes so I do not have as many problems with students asking about relevance. I do try and point out through lectures how this material is used in the work place, which tends to start a discussion within the class. To me this makes the students feel a part of the class, not just someone listening to me.

I really focus upon connecting the dots.

By relating what they are currently working on to what they have previously learned and are going to be learning in the future it creates an "arc" so that they are able to relate one thing with another more easily. I've found that by working to create this holisitic attitude and really focusing on the skills sets that I introduce at the beginning of the term I can better help students grasp what we are working on.

From there it is only a few small steps to "open a window" to the outside world by providing industry specific examples to tie the entirity of what we are studying to our real life industry.

Jeff,
Great strategy! This is so important for students to understand. They need to see what the ROI for them is going to be at the conclusion of their schooling. By helping them see application and relevancy you are doing just that.
Gary

You need to use examples and case studies that draw from the students daily experiences and are appicable to the new career field they are studying.

Sign In to comment