Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

At the beginning of the course I would ask my adult learners to write a short essay in which they depict what they see themselves doing in the career that they've chosen. Periodically throught the remainder of the course I would afford them the opportunity, where it is practical, to shadow someone who has already mastered the skill that they, the student, had invisioned doing themselves. They will be seeing their expectations in action. I believe this would be a powerfully motivating activity.

Cecilia,
You make a good point about showing them the value added benefit they get from their tuition. Humans tend to stay with what they know or have experienced. You are expanding the experiences of your students to include this additional research resource.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Gary,
Good way to help students to connect the dots of content and application. You are showing them examples of where their careers might take them if they are success in this and other courses along the way.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I try to show relevancies in the course material and use my own experiences along with it to help

Adult learner needs and expectations should be the foundation for instruction in an effort to optimize student learning. Students are likely to become more enthusiastic about learning if they see how it ties into the bigger picture in terms of their past experiences, educational pursuit, and post-college career. As an instructor, instructional content and delivery can be made more relevant by keeping these things in mind when planning.

As a nursing intructor, I pull from a previous history of many nursing models and backgrounds. It brings together the relevancy of what they are learning and practical application with theory. Using theory when they go to clinicals and being able to evalute outcomes of their practice. Lends itself to excitement for the new and upcoming career.

Frances,
I can tell from your comments that you bring a lot of passion about your field to the classroom. This is so important for students to see and experience because it helps them see themselves in the future working successfully.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Material becomes so relevant to students when you can demonstrate how knowing and applying it is necessary for them to achieve their goal.

If students are not adept at the technical skills taught to them or the theory and safety knowledge that go with the skills, they will not be able to ask a reasonable rate of pay. In my profession, pay is directly linked to technical ability and knowledge. I can be soso and ask $15 for a haircut or be great and ask $40 for a haircut.

Siobhan,
So true. They get excited because the content starts to make sense to them because they can see how they can use it in their future work settings.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Jane,
Your comments focused on the need to strive for quality. Personal branding, meaning outstanding skill in one's area is what will set you a part. The time is the same to do the haircut but the return on that time investment results in higher pay when excellence is practiced.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

We provide relevancy of material using examples of when the students where "in the field" and might not have understood why they were doing a certain task. They usually respond well, and we emphasize this understanding of purpose.

Carl,
Application and relevancy are two critical components of teaching. The students need to see the "whys" of the content and when they do they start to see the value as well.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Well, if you teach them what is going to lead them to their career then of course that is a good foundation and continue with that relevant instruction will keep them interested. Explaining to them that what they are learning is for their career and getting them involved, such as asking what they are expecting and receiving input is always a good way to deliver relevant material because you asked for their opinion. If you make them feel that their opinion is important, they will pay more attention. Keep it interesting.

Isleen,
You make a number of very good points in terms of how to approach the instructional process. You have to keep the students engaged and focused and variety plus application helps that to occur.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I have just been introduced to a new method to get an idea of my student's needs and course expectations. Every few days I pass out a quarter of a sheet of paper to each student. they have two minutes to respond to a single question. ie
What was unclear in yesterdays lecture? or Did you need more lecture time on the subject? Etc...
The responces have opened my eyes to several items needing more refinement, such as more visual aids than verbal or visa versa.....

students who study and wright up questions are best able to understand class material during a review of last nights work and a review of post test to explane and understand .

Chuck,
Great teaching strategy. Thanks for sharing it with us. I know it will be of help to other instructors.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I feel by stressing how important the subject may be and how much the will need it and or use it out in the field. I have so many students come back and say, (you were right we did need or do these things).

Frank,
Yes, they are more successful because you are involving other senses and effort. They use their cognitive processing, tactile writing and visual intake. All contribute to greater retention.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment