Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adult learners need to be shown that they will receive immediate use of the information we as instructors are imparting. Reviewing is a great way to achieve this as it helps the student see they really have learned something and they can use it right now.

The course material refers transference and applying the theory students may have learned into knowledge they can actually use. This is the challenge of a career college instructor as many classes are theory based versus skills acquisition and application. Students are looking for both and when they are presented with both in the context of relevance to their program of study, they tend to be satisfied.

Specific ways content/delivery are relevant include minimal amounts of lecturing followed by a practical and applicable exercise or group project ensures students retain the most important elements. When we look back on our college experiences, those experiences that stand out ar those in which we applied what we learned. No matter how trivial it may have felt at the time, looking at the bigger picture, that one exercise fell in line with our career goals.

Michael,
Good points about how we all internalize the information and skills that were being offered to us. The more we can see relevance and application the greater the retention is going to be. Same for our students so we need to continually make it "real" for them.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

For Math courses the students always ask when am I ever going to use this..

I like teaching the interest formulat in Algebra. Showing students how money in a back accumulates as time goeson depending on what the interest rates are.

I ALSO DO ONE ON BYING A CAR AND HOW MUCH THE INTEREST RATE IS.

Relevancy and expectations of an adult learner is key to their retention of newly learned skills and applied knowledge. Adults are career oriented and more selective of what information is relevant and what to keep. On average, teenagers retain and learn 600 new things a year while adult learn and retain 400 new things a year.

Therefore relevancy in the material to the adult learner in their career objectives is a key in delivering the theory and the new concept.
In a given practical application, the new skills and how to use the new knowledge in the work place will significantly add to the relevancy and how to use the newly learned skill at their work place.

As an important safety measure. Part of the CNC machine set-up is to verify (program zero) as to where the CNC machine will execute the CNC program.
By doing this step, the operator of the CNC machine will insure a safe execution of the part program on the CNC machine.

Most of the machine operators are not keen on taking this step, but by seeing the benefit of this step (not executing the program at the wrong CNC machine coordinate) by seeing the advantage of (program zero verification) before executing the program. The adult learner will see the relevancy of taking this important step before the final execution of the CNC program.

William,
Good point. If we make it a part of our memory processing we can use it almost every day. This is what connects all forms of education together but many students don't see that as you well know.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

As a culinary instructor using real life senarios and giving examples of what will work and what may not help a great deal. Adult learners know it's a reality from there past experiences.

I have found that if I just ask my students about there past experience and what there future plans might be I get plenty of ways that I can relate information to them. It also gives me information to use if a student is having trouble with a topic I now have different ways to present it so they might understand it better.

Edward,
To more you know about your students the more accurately you can target your instruction to them. This way they will be able to experience knowledge growth and continue moving toward their career goals.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I believe that expectation is a key part of a positive end results. If one can build on the student’s expectations and make it relevant, it will help the learning and memorization of new material as it pertains to the student’s projection of themself. The caveat is to make sure the expectations of the students are in line with the goals of the program. Any time that new information can be linked to past experience or firm expectation is a strong way to bond the two.

When the student sees the relevancy in the class thay are more likely to participate in the class and get the most out of the class. As an instrcutor I always relate the course to how inportant it is for the future job.

I believe that its not just the more targeted discussions and examples, but by taking the time to focus on the student's goals and back ground they feel that I care.

Explaining to students how the concepts/skills would apply in the real-world is a very good way to ensure relevance. Students who are completing a degree program may not always understand why they need to learn about one discipline over another. For example, if a student dreams of becoming a project manager, they may wonder why they are taking a networking or programming class. Providing situations where this information is useful helps students to make the proper connections and to be engaged.

Sean,
Relevancy and application are two words that need to be a part of all instructional planning. Student value content more when they can see application and relevancy in the content. You make a good point about this.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Diane,
Career development is a series of steps and the more you can illustrate to students what those steps are the more accurately they will be able to see how their careers can develop. You have a good way of showing them with this approach.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Most adult learners are trying to work, raise a family and continue their education. Their time is valuable. The more relevant you make your information the more your students will get actively involved. THey will see the value in learning what you are trying to teach.

I teach research. I've noticed often students go to Google, even though their tuition includes a subscription to an excellent database. After showing them the database and demonstrating a search, I explain that learning to use the service is a skill they can add to their resumes and use at externship sites, which often subscribe to such databases.

Reminding students how subjects will benefit them to finding a job is a good carrot to keep them interested. RE: The Bigger Picture: I was tapped to do Ask-a-Librarian service at my school. OH no, I groaned. Not yet another task. But when I looked at it as a way to sharpen my research skills and I could add it to my resume, I became very excited.

When we teach to a students expectations we aim twards the reason they are taking the course and
the better we aim the more personal satisfaction
we give our students that they have made the right choice to take our class

As an instructor, I can use the needs and expectations of adult learners as the basis for developing lesson plans. For example, when teaching a criminal justice class on law enforcement, I use videos of police academy training to demonstrate the relevance to of the material being covered in class.

Sign In to comment