Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am teaching at a career college, I need to connect the content to the hands on and actual clinical practice for the students to see the relevancy. This done by sharing my own clinical experience, clinical simulation, and case scenarios

I remember when I was in college, how frustrated I was with much of what we were learning. So much of my education was irrevelant to my goals. I was in nursing school and had an instructor who loved OB nursing, I did not and had no intention of being an OB nurse. She brought all the class content around to this speciality. I needed the information, but she never made it relevant to my goals so I often disengaged.
When I start a new class I ask my students what kind of nursing they are looking to and what thier expectations of me are.

Lisa,
I commend you for customizing effort. You are connecting the content to the focus of each student. This way they will see both value and relevance to what they are learning.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I like to use my own personal stories to show relevance to the course and what they may experience. The students get really engaged when I tell them about disasters, successes, and what this business is truly like.

in my case there is a part of the class practice almost always meets the expectations of students in learning, such as injections, drawing blood, vital signs, sterilization, suture, among others, I have no specific strategies reliza unless a student requires

I use various strategies in class, identify types of intelligence and position in the classroom, colors to use in assignments, music, practices, each one given time stop reading and ask questions, and so the class becomes dynamic, groups of balanced class work, among other

Maikel,
Sounds like an enjoyable and most profitable class for your students. You are offering instruction in ways that engaged the students for the duration of each class.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

The use of experience, particularly in an environment in which the student is familiar. Relevance within the work environment in which the student learner wishes to have future success as a career. By this i mean that a facilitator can use his or her prooven experiences in the classroom as a methodology or strategy

Yes the courses should be relevant, dymanic and entusiastic.

I think that especially when you are teaching a practical subject, that is hands on, that you always ask they "why" of what you are doing. I teach an apparel patternmaking course, and when I teach a new technique, I always ask them why we are doing this. I follow up with how things fit the body, why you must make this allowance, or correction. I even ask them how do they think their own clothes fit and again, why? It helps them think about what they are doing in front of them in 2 dimension, and apply it to the 3 dimension skill that they are learning. How to fit the human body with clothing.

Carol,
You are making your content real through application. This is what good teaching is about. The students can see the relevancy to what you are showing them as building blocks in their career development.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Always keep on top of the Business News;; Give students projects that relate to the Business world if you arer a Business Instructor

For example if we are teaching a Keyboarding let the the students know when they go on interviews they might be tested and they will need to have a minimum speed and accuracy and it is good to have this skill and that the Internet and Texting diminishes these skills.

Exactly as with a keyboarding class and the students see how good keyboarding skills connect with their lives and their future.

Instructions give the students the rudimentary bases to understand and build upon the concept.

Diane,
Anytime you can show relevancy and application you are helping the students connect the dots between course content and real life. A very important part of teaching and you are doing that with your instructional strategies.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Diane,
Good reminder for your students. When they are interviewing they are in the final stages of transitioning from being students to workers so they need to be prepared to respond as such. There are no "do overs" in a job interview.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

The most important topic related to this question that I will work to implement in my daily teaching is the concept of judicious review. Too often do I and other instructors fall into the habit of doing a massive review session, usually the day before a test. Should students even benefit by retaining the information so they perform well on the test, usually they do not have the opportunity for transference and application of course material and skills. Students never develop habits or transfer information to long-term memory when this "old-school" format for review sessions is depended upon by the instructor. Using judicious review will also assist with helping the students see the bigger picture about how the course material relates to their overall education and, even further, the career for which they are training.

It is very important to show relevancy when teaching. One way is to show the "building blocks" of knowledge as I call it. The students appreciate the fact that what they are learning is necessary for the next class. My students thena are able to take what they have learned into the lab and apply it. This is the extremely imporatnt and the students are very enthusiastic about this part of being able to demonstrate to me the skills they have learned.

Michelle,
Application enhances relevancy. By giving them exposure to content and then having them apply that content you are making the connection for them between their course work and their career goals. They can see how they will be able to achieve their career goals if they are willing to put forth the effort required to acquire the knowledge and skills needed in the field.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment