Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Neal,
You make a good point about looking how you can engaged the different intelligences of students to help them achieve success. This effort will enable all the different personalities of students to be involved.
Gary

In my limited experience, it seems that not everyone learns the same way. I have also observed that the same person will learn different things in different ways. The variables have been the content, topic, and the attitude of the student... maybe the teacher as well.

Understanding the multiple intelligences will help me determine how to apply different teaching methods.

I will use my observational skills to note which students are Logical/Mathematical, Verbal/Linguistic and Visual/Spatial. Once I determine the student’s learning preferences, I will put them in groups in the class room in order to focus on their preferred learning method.

An example would be I will place the Visual/Spatial student toward the front of the room as I use PowerPoint Presentations as one of my teaching tools. In addition, I will pass out the outline of the presentation to the whole class; however, this effort is targeted toward the Logical/Mathematical students. Then I will call on the Verbal/Linguistic students when it comes time to give the summary or review what the presentation covered.

Hi Gary,
Right you are. This is why it is good to offer instruction in a variety of ways so students can work in their various intelligences at different times throughout the course. This helps them to balance their learning opportunities when they have choices in terms of content delivery.
Gary

Hi Nanci,
Great way to bring delivery balance to your students. You have a very comprehensive approach to how you are teaching. Well done.
Gary

Obviously, teaching methods should include as many approaches to the same concept or skill as possible. Going back to the math example, the class could divide itself into learning-style groups. In other words, the students who can read the text and understand the concept should be allowed to move at their own pace through the material. They need not be tied to the lecture; don't think that they're not paying attention. For those who learn through the lecture it's important that alot of visual examples should used to accommodate both the visual and auditory learners.

It will give me the ability to recognize how each student processes material and gear my lecture more to the group

Mutiple intelligences need to be part of a learning environment in order to allow processing of information in ways that the student prefers to process it. Planning materials and presnetations that will stimulate as many of these intelligences will help your students learn and retial the information.

Using a variety of teaching methods to cater to different learning methods has a benefit to the instructor as well. If the instructor only delivers a lesson using one method the material and delivery can become boring and stale to the instructor. If the instructor continually tries to deliver the material in fresh ways, the instructor (and hopefully the students) will become more actively engaged in the process. It keeps the instructor from coasting I think.

This helps me a great deal in planning my classes and ensuring that each of my students comes away from each class with all the relevant information and understanding. I like to vary my classes, and try to give them a good mix of written information, visual (sometimes a power point), a verbal with all the theory details, and then a hands on practical.
I realize even for myself how using many different forms and styles keeps the classes flowing, interesting and since my class is a night time class,(many of my students work during the day ) keeps them all focused and intrigued in the class. Not spending too long on one style keeps movement and stimulates the students.I like the idea that I am also connecting with each of them with their best learning method.

Based on my knowledge of learning style, I incorporate various teaching strategies to teach the difference learning styles in the class and assist them in learning effective oral communication. However, every student must fulfill specific requirements, such as presenting speeches and turning in assignments on time.

Hi Janet,
Having students acquire knowledge in areas other than their desired learning preference is a good strategy because in most careers some amount of reading is required. So even if that isn't their learning preference have skills in that area will help them to be successful in their career enabling them to do what they have trained to do.
Gary

For 16 years I have taught oral communication. During my classes, I incoporate many different approaches to reach the different learning styles in the class. Most of my students have one thing in common and that is fear, but even that is individualized. Since I teach oral communication, much of the content of the class deals with critical thinking, critical analysis, critical listening and performance. During instruction, I use visual aids, handouts, team activities, reading assignments, take home tests and performance activities. With each class I try difference techniques to see if learning can be improved. Being flexible is crucial, because what works with one person may not work with another and what works with one class may not work with another class.

Hi Janet,
You make a key point about the need to be flexible. This is a must because as you know after the extensive teaching experiences you have had the dynamics of a class can change very quickly. We always have to have a back up plan so we can adjust our instructional delivery on a as needed basis.
Gary

The ability to understand multiple intelligences allows me to identify and isolate those students who may have a different intelligence processing mechanism and direct my teaching techniques to assist those students in understanding the material better.

When dealing with course materials that lend themselves to one type of intelligence (Math vs HR Management) I need to construct a methodology that enables me to use the text or related materials to the best advantage of the student.

Cultural divergence is a major factor in student's learning today in career schools. I deal with a variety of students from varied backgrounds and have learned that culture has a profound effect on how students learn or avoid learning. The Caribbean island people, for example, are vocal, energetic and friendly but lack conceptual powers.It requires effort to get them to connect concepts in forming an idea. Other cultures, including those of Americans from various parts of the country or of a major city, bring challenges to the instructor as to how to best present material.

For many of the students, the letter grade is more important than the actual learning of the material. I believe that this stems from the fact that in previous learning experiences they (the students) have not done well and this new learning experience is the first time they can feel that they are special.

Hi James,
These observations about how different groups of students perceive and define success are very helpful in planning instructional delivery. This way you are able to more accurately target their specific learning preferences and this will lead to increased student retention and success.
Gary

Less volume of material delivered within differing intelligence models demonstrated by student groups will alway result in more satisfying experiences and performcances of by those students.

Less words (lecture) more visual, more doing, etc. It is the same lesson plan just delivered in different modes.

This removes the instuctor complaint, "my students don't learn!!". This of course is not true. They just don't learn using the intelligence your are trying to force.

I get more and more angry these days at my "peers" and the institutional ineffectiveness. If the problem occurs over and over again, it is proof that your strategies are not working. Change the strategies!!!.

The inflexibility of teachers to adapt to modes that work for their students predicts there troubles. One person can adapt to a group. Expecting a group to adapt to one person is naive.
Yes, I am veruy angry about it.

Hi George,
You make a number of very good points in relation to using multiple intelligences as learning tools. If we know how students process information we are going to be able to target these intelligences and everyone is going to have more success.
Gary

I feel that learning the multiple intelligences of our students is similar to knowing the different learning styles they all have. It will help me with my teaching methodologies by preparing lesson plans to match the different types. For example, I can use different types of vusiual aids and have the students create visuals for assignments. I can use some auditory such as books on tape (since I teach English), and I can have the students work in groups more often.

Sign In to comment