Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

brain development

I just had a quick question. In the overview it states that the brain is fully matured at the age of 25. However, I thought there has been more recent studies indicating our brains are actually continuing to mature and develop even through our fifties,sixties, and beyond.

Hi Heidi,
Based upon the research I have been reading and my own research in the area of multiple intelligences the brain physically has created the cognitive pathways that are going to be most frequently used by around age 25. You make a good point about the use of the brain as a learning tool throughout our lives. We continue to develop our cognitive processing through techniques like pruning, generalizing, distorting, and deleting new information throughout our life times. What we are doing with these processes is getting more efficient with what we take in and what we store in our memories.
Gary

Dr.Gary,
Do you think the developed pathway cognition can also expand based on the learners inquiry?
Medhin.

Hi Medhin,
Yes, I do. This occurs I believe as a result of utilization of different learning preferences and avenues of input. The more exposure the more content is available for storage in the working memory.
Gary

The brain is physically matred by the age of 25.The way yor brain learns and neuron transmit information has fully developed.

I've also heard that because the cognitive pathways are fully developed at 25, this is what helps us in decision making. It's also the reason that your car insurance rates drop at 25 because you're considered less of a risk than a younger driver. Fully developed brain = better decision making = less risk to the insurer.

Hi Kathleen,
Right you are about brain development. This is why it is so tough for young people because they are making the majority of their life decisions when they are still developing physically and mentally.

It is a wonder that any of us make it to adulthood.

Gary

I find in my class students closer to the age of 25 do a better job. i know understand why. I understand that the tastebuds dont finish maturing till around the same age, would make sence the brain is the same.

Hi Christopher,
Great way to make the connection between the brains and taste buds of your students. With this understanding you are going to be able to better target your instructional to the maturity level of your students.
Garu

I found throughout my years in this educational facility that our older adult student are more focused. They have more experiences to bring to their decision making process. They are also more goal oriented. They seem to usually have a mental edge over the younger student in the same surroundings.

Hi Brenden,
I agree with you about the older students being more focused. They know what they want and are willing to work to get it. The key is to get them comfortable enough to know they can be successful and not to become too stressed out with being back in school.
Gary

I can agree with this as well. Althought I also find that older students with a larger experience base sometimes are more open minded about what they are tasting.
On another note, has anyone else noticed that younger studnents tend to struggle with adapting and problem solving activities?

Hi Dr. Meers, I found the brain development discussion interesting and can see parallels with my learning experiences and those of friends. However, I have a hard time believing that by around 25 yrs of age you have all the basic raw brain power you are going to have in your life. Comparing the brain to other parts of the body, you can increase muscle mass, strength, circulation/cardio...etc by exercising/teaching your body. Can't you do the same for your brain/mental abilities or is this too simplistic? I also remember reading/hearing that you only use a fraction of your brain cells so are there ways to expand the amount of your brain you use?

David,
You are right about the brain continuing to develop. At around age 25 the brain has created the connections needed to use the different parts of the brain efficiently. From there like the other parts of the body the brain can be developed through the acquiring of additional knowledge and application of such knowledge.
Gary

Sign In to comment