Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Self Improvement

If my reading of history has taught me anything it is that those who wish to accomplish great things must continually work to improve their skills and their knowledge base. That being said they must also be prepared for a lot of set back and to work with no apparent reward in sight. The reason being is life has opportunities that occur at random intervals and it is how you do on these opportunities that will determine if you move up or if you move down.

My grandmother taught me this valuable lesson. She never got to go to school past high school but she never stopped learning, reading, and improving. It took me 17 years to complete my BA in Psychology.  In the middle of that I was also taking the Medical Assistant courses. One very stressful day I was thinking that I wasn't cut out for the MA program and thought I might have to quit (2 boys and one on the way). She shook her finger at me and stated "You will not quit.  You never know when you're going to need that degree to sustain you because once you have that diploma no one can take it away from you."  in 2000, my husband passed away.  The MA saved me and my family.  Since, I have made it a mission to grow as much as possible and I send this message on to my students at the beginning of every class.  I continued on to a MS in Psychology, got certified as a teacher in the state of Texas, and built a business and a non-profit.

If you have a dream, make it a reality because no one can do it for you. Nothing, no one, can stand in your way. 

Sign In to comment