Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Culinary Labs

This post is to get feedback on refining the grading matrix. Looking at competency objectives, what are good implementation strategies?

Matt,

First, review the competencies and assure they are achievable in the course. Develop a rubric that indicates what is being assessed and the varying levels of performance. What is exceeds performance, acceptable, fair, and needs work. Or what ever range you decide. Show the students the rubric in advance. This helps them to understand what is expected.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I think I can be of some assistance or at least give you another example of what I use. I teach Culinary as well. My classes are very heavy in the lab setting with lots of students doing different things all the time. I developed a rubric for their Daily Professionalism, Participation and Production scores. I have it set up for a week of points. It has the learning outcomes and the levels or grades in a grid. During the development of it I asked myself what the Expectations(C) for the tasks were and listed them. Then I went to Exceeding Expectations(A) and finally to Unsatisfactory(F). Each area has lots of examples of specific items that I am watching for. As an example in the professionalism learning outcome the 'use of unprofessional or offensive language' is in the unsatisfactory(F) area. I hope this made some sense and might have help a bit. In short the student can easily look at the rubric and see what he or she needs to do in order to achieve a certain letter grade for that day.

Kelvin,

Having the rubric is great. DO you think you need the letter grade in the rubric? What might happen if you did not have the grade in the rubric?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Sign In to comment