Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gearing your lab to your students.

I know me personaly I must pay attention in my diesel lab on how much each student knows, What might be good for one may be too advanced for another of vise versa. Sometimes i find myself having a couple different levels of lab work going at the same time.

Brandon,

All students do not work or learn at the same pace. Focusing on the outcomes like this is the way to go.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

For sure......Because all students learn at different rates. We need to be a little more personable now adays if we want to retain retention!

Setting up your lab for different students with different education experience makes for difficult time. I will team up a student with 1 year in school with a student with more time that way the less experenced student can benefit with more guidiance when I am with other students.

Bruce,

Students teaching each other leads to better retention of information.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Students will learn at different paces. It can be challenging as an instructor to plan your day accordingly.

Don,

Yes, but exciting too. If someone finishes first have them help others. It reinforces what they learned.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Not all the time, but I like the concept of peer learning, it really open up to interaction amongs students that we do not find quite similar ine demo or lecture.

Pierre,

Students teaching each other yields the highest percentage of retention of information.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I agree that peer learning is efficient and beneficial for student, they get more involve, motivation is higher and I find that interaction leads toward a greater participation and retention information. Being a personal and individual effort to participate also geared recipients to enjoyment and creativity and has a positive impact on them.

Pierre,

Well said. Very good points. And it is reflected in the student work too.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Technical schools have to have classes geared to students,and to the field that the students are studying for.Much different than 4 year college programs.

william,

Yes and the students often have different needs than those going to a four year school.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I always stress to my students that they will learn as much from each other as they will learn from the instructor in the lab setting. I emphasize the power of teamwork and group learning.

I find that I repeat and pattern what I teach and I know it's getting thru when they start using the same thing while explaining it to a classmate who is having troubles. What I find odd is the student that never understood me suddenly gets it when he hears it from a fellow student using the exact same words and examples I did many times before.

Thomas,

Students teaching other is statistically the highest level of information retention.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Sign In to comment