Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Questions

After taking this course, I realize now that I use A LOT of "Closed" questions. I need to learn to incorporate more "Open" questions in my lectures. Is it a bad idea to write them down and ask them that way?

Richard,

I usually plan my questions into my lectures. I even plan at which point I would ask the question and plan how much time to spend on them, however, it is difficult to keep the allotted time. Students enjoy this interaction.

Judy Mohammed

I don't think that I know enough about how to question sometimes.

Drexel,

Questioning is really a wonderful tool in the classroom. It gives us feedback and encourages students to use critical thinking skills. They also realize that they have to be alert in class.

Judy Mohammed

It is also a great way to gauge the progression of your class so that you can determine where you need to reinforce and improve your own lecturing style.

I find it more difficult to use open questioning techniques when teaching technical information. It seems more productive to get class involvement through participation in researching more complex closed questions.

Brent,

This is great. There is nothing wrong with using closed questions as described for your class. It is good that you recognize which type of question is best suited to your class. We all have to be careful with using open questions since we can easily go off on tangents. We need to have great classroom control as well as time awareness.

Judy Mohammed

Jason,

You are so right. Questioning is a great tool for teachers to get feedback on their delivery.

Judy Mohammed

The course I teach requires responses that reflect an understanding of content, process and procedure.

I do not understand how that can translate into anything other than a majority of closed questions.

Can someone recommend a different methodology?

Sign In to comment