Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

questioning

I work with older students and sometimes getting an answer out of them is like pulling teeth. I have tried asking leading questions. I have started the answer and then asked them to finish the answer. and still I get very short answers and most of the time incomplete. Let me give an example what is the correct procedure to adjust brakes? answer tighten the nut back it off retighten and set clearance. I have yet for one of my students to start with making sure the brakes are released or wheels are chocked this is part of the bearing adjustment. I try to prompt them into telling me the complete procedure the way it was taught to them. I have emphasized the complete procedure. Understand this is just an example and I could give you tons more am I asking for to much?

Cecil,

I am a fierce believer in getting it right at the beginning. On Day One, I let my students know that this is a very interactive class. My method of teaching is the Socratic method and so I ask a lot of questions. I call on students by name and I am successful at getting responses. I often use probing and I have a lot of patience.

Judy Mohammed

I find also that as the student goes along you can kind of guide them as well such as saying "thats correct and now what would you do" and so on until the untire procedure has gone through or ask the other students "can somebody help us out"

CORY,

I also utilize this technique and I find it very effective.

Judy Mohammed

I have this problem as well. I find I have better luck getting answers if I avoid asking very broad questions. I like to break it down as much as I can. Several small questions instead of one big one.

Thomas,

Like anything else, we take small steps leading to the giant leaps.

Judy Mohammed

thats good example, it helps students to understand and the content of the question.

Mohammed,

Using a variety of questions and giving enough wait time for responses are most useful in the classroom.

Judy Mohammed

Sign In to comment