Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How can you keep the class as a whole engaged ?

What is an easy way to engage all members of the class? How do you pull out the ones who don't engage and not shun the ones who always answer?

Tracee,

You can call on the quiet students by name and begin by asking them easy questions, remembering to offer positive feedback when they respond. This will encourage them to respond. Let the class know that you want ot give everyone a chance to respond and, if necessary, you may call aside the students who answer all the time and explain this to them.

Judy Mohammed

the questions I ask will have more than one correct answer,I ask each for everyone to hold their answers back and let everyone give a little bit at a time making the hole class work together for all of the possible answers,keeping eye contact with the ones that keep very quite or to themselfs,see if they are understanding the topic.it desnt always work but it does help them loosen up and then they start to open up.

Sidney,

Great technique! It seems like a good way to get everyone involved.

Judy Mohammed

I find that asking all the students questions keeps them all engaged. Asking questions by using each of their names though can be tough if you have a large class. Seating charts come in handy there. Praise goes a long way with the students that are usually quiet if not called upon, they often start opening up once they realise they wont get criticized.

John,

I use my roster in the beginning; this enables me to call the students by name while learning their names. You are so right about praise - it goes a long way indeed.

Judy Mohammed

I also use the multiple correct answer technique with raising of hands, along with redirection. I find that allows the "quieter" students to receive "help" by the first students answer. Sometimes I mix it up with "1-2-3 shout it outs" as a way to lighten up the stress & individality.
I've even been known to toss small candies at student for correct answers & effort.

Vikky,

All of these are good examples to keep the class alert and interactive. I sometimes use these methods as well.

Judy Mohammed

controled Kaos ask them questions that they as a class can discuss but redirecting their end result when nessary

Carl,

Class discussion is good; sometimes though the class can get involved in other topics. You have to ensure that you keep them on the lesson material, at least most of the time.

Judy Mohammed

yes you are correct but at a school where the average age of student 18to 25 their attention span needs to bet augmented at times if overloaded with information they also loose intrest by letting them wander in a controled discusion you can relieve bordum and get their intrest back.

Carl,

This is true. I am sure that your students enjoy your classes.

Judy Mohammed

I make this clear on the first day of class that everyone will have the opportunity and be called upon to make an effort at answering questions and leading discussion. I look for topics that are relevant to the classroom material but also interesting for that student. From the very beginning of the term I stress the importance of effective oral and written communication skills in career success and give them every opportunity for practice in both. I also try the technique of using group work to encourage the more introverted students to speak out and participate. My trick here is to put all of those repsonsive students in the same group and the introverted students in the same group. In a more diverse group the natural leaders will always step to the forefront. This way someone not used to taking on that role has to and usually will emerge as a leader. I always congratulate and tell them I knew you could do it!!! They seem pretty encouraged after that.

Denise,

This is a very good strategy. Students often come in with a wealth of experience in the subject matter. Some teachers do not encourage interaction and may therefore lose out on the opportunities to build on this wealth.

Judy Mohammed

Sometimes it can be difficult to control the students who over-answer or over-share. Suggestions for that?

Jennifer,

I meet with these students during breaks or after class and start a discussion with them. Sometimes it is a wonderful discussion. I often let them know how they might be affecting the class and, many times, they are not aware of this and we usually work it out very well. I give them individual attention outside of class.

Judy Mohammed

I like this idea.
I have always been one of the "shy" students in a classroom, and even though I may know an answer, I will very rarely volunteer an answer, unless the instructor calls on me directly.

Vickie,

I often call students by name. In the beginning, I use the roster to learn the students' names, but I call on them as soon as I learn them. Most people like to be addressed by their names. I make an effort to pronounce the names correctly.

Judy Mohammed

I ask questions to every student, in no particular order, to keep everyone engaged and on track with the topic(s).

Brian,

This is a good pracrtice. I also try to get everyone involved by calling them by their names.

Judy Mohammed

Sign In to comment