Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning disabilities

It is important to attempt to show how a student can use their disability as an anchor to learning. If they realize that they are not alone that ever individual faces a learning disability to a degree, they will face their own with success. Yes there is an understanding that their disability is real and may even have a well establish label. To get a student to face who they are and to understand to accept it so they can grow.

William,
this really is a key first step as through this they can start to open up & seek the help they need.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I understand alot of our adult student may have been out of the academic realm for some 10+ years.
And in saying that, I am saying this: students are not always forthcoming about what the deem as a learning disability.
Perhaps the perspective learning institution should give a test approximately 50 questions prior to the students enrolling (as with all other higher learning instituions) and re-assess basic skills.
I also find, studying, discipline, and focus are the 3 major scenarios that the students lack; but, we know those are the three major scenarios that the student needs in order to be successfull in learning.
We (higher learning institutions, for adult learners) really need to have a class that encompasses all the basic aptitudes for achieving the students goals.
Especially when that student has not been in a classroom enviroment/setting in 10+ years.

If one knows they have a learning disability, they are a step ahead because they will be able to get the instructional support that suits their needs best and if they can communicate it to their instructor, we can learn from them too.

Sign In to comment