Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hip to that.

Students should not have to spend valuable class time trying to figure out what will be covered in class. Put an outline on the board of the days topics. Letting the students know what to expect can relax them and take away anxiety.

This is true. Although I agree some student's just don't bother reading the board at times. As well as writing it we should announce what is written before starting the lecture.

I agree. It helps to keep the overall goal for the class in mind for the students as well as the instructor.

I agree! I usually put the topics that wil be discussed as well as homework that I will check (in the beginning of class) and any assignments that will be due in the upcoming days or weeks. That way, if the students have any questions about what is due, they can ask at the end of class. Students respond well to this organization. I have to laugh when I do not put the info on the board...the students will notice and say "Ms Ellie, Ms Ellie...you forgot you forgot!"...just like middle school kids..I love it! It makes me realize they really do appreciate my organization!

..Thanks for sharing..well noted!

I agree I put an outline of the day on the board and I stick to the outline as best as possible. Students get excited and feel included.

I started using an outline just recently and I was surprised at how much of a difference it makes. I use one side for the days outline and they opposite side for reminders for things that are due, quizzes, etc. It really does reduce anxiety for the students. I also started to make a weekly outline they receive on Monday. This allows me to make changes and move things around depending on how long it took or if they struggled with a concept I can add more practice. I am new to teaching and I still struggle estimating how much time things will take, so the structure helps me as well as the students.

Mariam ,
thanks for sharing your experiences; these little tools & tricks help all of us.

Dr. Ryan Meers

In a previous teaching assignment on the first day after reviewing the class syllabus, class room expectations, etc. I would also provide a handout outlining the calendar for the entire quarter. It listed all homework assignments, daily topic discussions, etc. My students seemed to really enjoy staying on top of the work especially if they were absent from class.
In this teaching assignment, the school preference is to make heavy use of the white board to keep students informed. Whichever way, I found that the students feel more comfortable knowing the road map.

Carolyn,
yes, this is very helpful for students, especially those who are planners. It can help them compare with their other schedules & know when to work ahead, etc.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment