Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Language

Language is a big barrier. I think the students with language barriers should be provided with some help from the institute they are studying in.

It is hard even if you know the language

As an educator, language barriers have been the most frustrating part. I believe that students that use english as asecond language have a difficult time due to learning a new language and a new skill.

Anthony,

I think one way to help with his is to take the words apart as this can sometimes help them figure them out.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree, students with language barriers are much more difficult to teach because they have a difficult time understanding. I think that student who do not know English that well would benefit greater from programs taught in their primary language.

I have had several students with english as a second or learning language. They ranged from german, to spanish, and even a arabic. I have found that the best thing for the student is to always have a translation dictionary readily available. This allows the student and instructor to look up the words meaning together and further clarify the point.

Adrienne,
this is a great idea, especially the point about looking the words up together. I agree that this kind of work helps clarify word meanings & contexts.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree with Irum. The institution need to provide this service if a student has learning disabilities or English is a secondary language. I know this might sound harsh, but I for one never went to school to be a English major, I am a Automotive Technician and a Instructor in the field. It is very hard to break through this barrier by myself, do to my lack of knowledge in teaching someone a language.

with learning a new language for students it can be hard especially automotive because we use everyday words words differently so the students have to learn 2 different languages at the same time very confusing.

Paul,
this is definitely a significant challenge & this is where I think using as many visuals as possible can be very helpful to these students who may be struggling.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Learning barriers are a definite challenge for some of my students because I am teaching them extensive terminology when they are still learning English. Patience is important and some type of learning resource is essential for success.

Kayla,
this is a good thing to keep in mind that the new terminology is hard enough without the additional language barrier.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Yes it is certainly a barrier but showing interest in their native language is a great way to connect with a student and help them feel valued.

Sign In to comment