Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Alternating Reading and Writing

It is important to stress to students that being able to read and write is essential in todays computer based world. I always give reading assignments with a paper that must be graded, in order to give the student practice in these skills.

William,
it is interesting how some students view these skills as less necessary today, but as you pointed out we live in a text based world & so these skills are actually even more important.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As an automotive instructor, we often get the impression that students sign up for our program SPECIFICALLY because they believe they will escape reading, writing, and customer interaction. SO not true!!!

so, we spend a lot of time trying to enforce to our students that reading and writing are critical skills-- being able to comprehend a diagnostic process just might be a valuable tool for a mechanic!!

cory,
this is a great statement. While we are immersed in technology, we live in a text based world & the ability to communicate in all it's forms is crucial to success.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Reading the sections relating to students with reading/writng difficulties,I re-live my son's schooling & the agony he/we experienced from 2nd - 12th grades(he is graduating from univ. next month!) There are many underlying factors resulting in reading/writing difficulties/disabilities. I believe it is paramount to identify the brain/wiring problems so that a student (& his/her entire being) can be better supported/successful (book-wise & life-wise). To find successful alternative teaching methods can take a lot of time without proper identification of true underlying problem. (I understand many believe there is just an across-the-board 'problem' here, but there can be many different challenges involved; perhaps ID-ing the disconnect is important before being able to implement truly effective teaching methods)

Sign In to comment