Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using life experiences

I use life experiences in the classroom everyone can relate, even those with reading problems or ESL. It keeps them focused.

Every student has something to relate for the class. Their experiences in life is something if you listen to them. Some students have been thru a great deal of problems and are in your class to learn how to make it in a career that they feel that they want. When ask why they want to get i nto a certain field, they reply that it was a certain person that helped them, or I feel that what I went thru, and made it thru the tunnel, I can help someone with problems.

Absolutely Al!

When I was going to night school, working, taking care of children and had a husband who ofter deployed with the Navy, I knew at that point that I wanted to be an instructor. I looked around and saw so many of me in the classroom who were struggling and I wanted to say "you can make it"! I had experiences to share.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

I love when students share their life experiences. I often have to share some of mine to get them started. However, teaching a diverse group of students, I often can learn from their life experiences and see things in a new light and this also helps the student feel like an important part of the class.

I use lefe experiences in every class I teach. IT helps the student to understand better and to see how what we are learning is applying to their life.

Using life experiences helps draw in the attention of the whole class as well as students with some type of disability.

Joan, I use life experiences in the classroom also.

The students enjoy it because they are abale to relate to each other experiences, while they are learning.

you hit the nail on the head.i also enjoy learing from my students.it seems to relax the whole class when you share these experiences.

Using life experiences in class is a plus but,only when these experiences relates to the subject matter being discussed or if these experiences are used to motivate the student with their profession.

Even struggling students feel success when they get an opportunity to share.

I like to use my life experiences when I am teaching students because I believe it makes them feel more connected. It shows them that we are in this together and it real is possible for them to achieve the same things and it also makes things much more interesting.

Using life experiences is usefull in not only showing them the importance of what they are learning but also to introduce a little bit of humor in the classroom.

Sign In to comment