Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Learning Groups

I have found student learning groups to be valuable in developing classroom rapport and creating a safe atmosphere which fosters student participation. I use student learning groups typically the last half of class for content application activities.

I have found mixed results in my student learning groups. Too often, there are some students who ride the coat tails of their peers and get their grade from work others have done without much personal contribution.

I do think that peer assessments and self assessments may help in this issue. Have you utilized these in helping with the grade in your groups? What have your experiences been?

April Ragland

April,
I have utilized these & generally have a positive result. Granted there are some groups that don't give a truthful response, but then that eliminates their ability to complain about someone not pulling their weight.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have found that group learning when it comes to the practical part of my lesson works very well. The students enjoy learning different skills and techniques from one another. It tends to help with the students who are a little apprehensive. They feel more comfortable seeing another student perform the skill as opposed to me performing it.

Sandra,
yes, often this is a great way for the students to learn as they might learn more from each other than from the instructor.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment