Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Group Dynamics

It is important to observe group dynamics to make sure each member has a voice.

i like group dynamics is important to make the class more interesting

True and when forming smaller groups making sure that you have good diversity.

Hi Susan!

Some many instructors point to the importance of having diversity in groups and I've never asked this question. What does "diversity in groups" mean to you?

Thanks and looking forward to your response.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

Observing group dynamics is key because in most group settings, a handful of "dominant personalities" will come to the fore. Monitoring the groups and ensuring that all group members contribute, not just he most dominant members, will ensure that your students feel like they contributed to the project or discussion.

If not monitored, stronger students will take over the group. The purpose of the group is to allow all participants an equall opporunuty to make a contribution while learning

If the groups have diversity, the model can create and foster accountability. To maximize participation, the dominant personality and chattier students should not be placed in a leadership role. If they are asked to take notes or are responsible for another task, it can help encourage individual contribution from all members.

JoAnne O'Fallon

I think "diversity in groups" in a classroom setting means a variety of learning styles in a given group. I think its beneficial for students to learn from eachother, and see the different ways other students learn.

I find it imperative to circulate and move among group members. This can lessen idleness and increase competencies.

Has anyone been able to determine group dynamics in the online environment?

Diversity in groups means to me: personality, study style, skill level, knowledge level.
Paula

Sign In to comment