Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Picking Teams

I usually place my classes in groups of four after observing them for one week, I go down my grade book selecting the strongest numbered 1-10 and then select the weaker students numbered 1-10 and then fill in the blanks with average students numbered 1-10, this way my groups are well rounded and I let the students know that this was a random selection.

This is a good method. I also like to put students who are friendly but competetive with each other on different teams. Those students will be the leaders of their groups and make the other members of their teams work harder to do the best that they can.

I do the same when I place my students into groups. It depends upon the dynamics of the classroom in terms of allowing the students to pick their group or if I pick their group. If I pick the groups, I attempt to make each group equal in strength by placing strong students with weak students and using the well rounded students as "filler". I also inform the students that it was a "random" selection.

I usually am torn when deciding on teams. Part of me wants to make it a randomly picked sampling of students, as if I'm just picking them out of the hat. Usually that makes for a situation in which there are both strong and weak members of the team; this leads to the strong team members "carrying" the weaker members. If I wait until I get a sense of the students' abilities before assigning teams, I get less students "carrying" each other. The very talented students do spectacular work, and the weaker students flounder about with little success. This is tough since they get the sense of feeling defeated almost immediately and that is difficult to recover from.

Interesting post, I recently placed students in project groups. After observing the class for about two weeks I realized that majority of the students knew a lot about their peers in the class. Which is a plus. I had chosen students who exercised strong communication,problem-solving, and analytical skills as group leaders first. I counted out numbers 1-4 dividing students into groups and placed each student with a group leader. Students were given directions and a rubric regarding the project and have proceeded to work accordingly within their group. Students have even exchanged information to work outside the classroom to complete tasks.

I have a small class so it is hard to pick teams. I like to pick random teams, although I have seen what a disaster this can be when the weaker student does not stay up with the rest of the group. So I make sure I monitor the group to make sure each person is doing their fair share of the work.

Tom- I like this idea of accountability and competition within the students. This can serve as a powerful motivator to foster positive class participation.

I find that if you keep mixing the groups up the students get a more rounded work experience. they also get used to working with alot of different people. They need to understand that they will not always like everybody they work with but they have to deal with it.

I have opted for a combination.

I pick numbers out of a hat, then I write the list down and then I make adjustments as I see necessary. For instance, if I have 4 groups of 4 and 2 of the strongest students end up on the same team after drawing numbers, I will move one of the students.

So it is random, sort of. I feel in the end it gives the students a better experience.

Since I am teaching a foreign language class, I try to put a student in each group that is a bit more comfortable with the language to work as a leader, as well as to help challenge them in that roll, then try to divide the remainder of the students into the group for equal balance, such as age, sex, or challenged students.

I too use a variety of methods depending upon the activity involved. If it's a review game, they count off into groups. In the first 2 weeks of class I pretty much let them pick their own partner. After that I pair them up, matching "opposites", with every new lab subject. I explain that we all have to work with all kinds of people and that we all learn from one another. It's usually met initially with some disgruntelment, but very shortly the overall team environment has increased and most students find value in the exercise. The ones that don't are the students that consistently try to ride on others abilities, thinking that I don't know their lack of contributions.

Good job Susan!

I don't think anyone would disagree with this approach. As you said, there is always going to be someone who doesn't do their part.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

That is a good idea. We have training aids for up to eight groups. I usually let the class pick their own groups. I find a lot os disparity though. I think I will borrow your idea.

I agree with spliting strong student with t he weak ones, it gives everybody a fair advantage. If i allow them to pick teams themselves all the superstars will be on one team and therefore will not be fair to the other students. Mixing strong and weak students is a great opportunity for everyone to work together.

Great observation Melanie!

The success of teams is very dependent on the instructions being clearly articulated by the instructor. It's like asking someone to pick "something" up from the store but not telling them what the "something" is!!!!

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED106 Facilitator

By having different levels of students in a group, they can help each others.

I find that it's best to pair off the groups, as someone always feels left out. No one likes to feel like the odd one out. I also find it's best to pair strong students with some students who may not be as confidant in the topics; this really helps the group work together. Often times, those who are "A" students are happy to share their knoweldge and help out students who may feel it's not their best subject.

Overall, teamwork is a great idea for the classroom for any age!

Sign In to comment