Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being Repetitive

When we are repeating information is there any technique that works better than other? I use repetition daily in class to let the students know how important is the material covered. However, I had encounter a particular problem. I have been told a couple times by students that please do not repeat anymore the information because "they are not dumb". Any suggestions?

Liz,
I think you probably need to find the balance between the frequent review & not insulting their intelligence. It may not be needed every day, but perhaps a couple times a week?

Dr. Ryan Meers

Perhaps when you repeat you use a different inflection in your voice, emphasize a different word in a sentence or term. Use differing volume levels. This brings the students attention to what you are saying. Making it feel 'important". It will feel less...demeaning to the student that way.

Liz,
I still belive that repatition is a very valuable tool. However, there is a fine line. I always summarize or bundle ideas and ask the class " so do you remember" or " ok what did we just learn." It is always important not to sound like your talking down to students or in a way that will make them feel dumb. Maybe just cleaverly rewording delivery will help. I also break chapter parts and let student explain a portion. I then fill in their missing gaps. This boots their self-confidence and interest. Good Luck!

Sherri,
I think this is a great idea. I also sometimes make a joke out of making such a big deal. This way they laugh, they realize I'm not demeaning them & it is important.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I HAVE OFTEN USED THE SAME INFORMATION DIFFERENTLY. MANY TIMES YOU CAN SAY THE SAME THING IN A DIFFERENT WAY. SOME INSTRUCTIONS YOU MAY HAVE TO REPEAT THE SUBJECT MATTER OVER AND OVER. IN THE 21ST CENTURY, PEOPLE ARE LEARNING DIFFERENTLY. WE MUST KEEP UP WITH THE CHANGES.

BARBARA,
I agree that we have to keep up with these changes & I think the key regarding repetition is realizing that repeating does not mean we say it in the exact same way all the time. Sometimes the same info in a new format is the best way to get through.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment