Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

looking at students

What if you are in an arena with 200 students?

I've never lectured that big, but in a large classroom I always chose "zones", mainly left, right and center. I tried to find at least one student in each section to make eye contact with. As I grew more comfortable, I'd find more. Some never look up. I could be wrong, but I believe if you're looking at at least a few students in each "zone", classmates in proximity will feel included. Over time, eventually, eye contact should be made with nearly every student

I never spoke to a class of 200, but I would think it is like teaching a regular class.

The size of the class should not matter, if you are familar with your subject. You would be able to gesture to the students and walk around from side to side. Each students needs to feel connected to the instructor.

Whispering, or disruptive student are usually the student I make eye contact with. Once the talking or whispering disminishes, I then will move onto the next session of the class. Soon, you will realize the class is more attentive because no one but the instructor is giving the lesson.

Keepin moving during lecture will help keep students alert

YEP - I try to move to the back of the class several times during the presentations...talking from the rear "forces" the student to turn to focus on the presentation... it also makes some students uncomfortable - I think that is a good thing!

Sign In to comment