Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Watching online Archive

I teach Algebra online, and many students [older ones, especially] think they just can't understand Algebra. They have been through it before. So I try to change that outlook.

The online chat is recorded and archived for the students who don't attend the live chat. So I always listen to part of the archive to see how it sounds [no video - just mike]. I look for technical improvements needed such as changes in volume and distortion, and background noise.

Then I listen to my speaking style, to monitor how effectively I am speaking. Students like to know I'm human, so every class [NOT intentionally!] I make at least one mistake while solving problems writing on the powerpoint slides. When this happens, I do not try to move on, but instead, make a big point of the error, how it happened and how to correct it. I especially like it if a student corrects me before I realize there is an error! I commend that student. I point out that its very easy to make mistakes [see, here is one!] and that they have to be careful as they solve a problem, and they have to check their work for correctness after the fact.

Watching the archive helps me "tune" my speaking style so that students want to hear what I have to say, and want to learn. Attitude and drive are the prime motivators to learn. I try to make the classroom attitude positive and enjoyable. Then I can explain the Algebra and techniques to a student who thinks that maybe they can understand it finally!

I teach Coding and Billing online, many students listen to the archive. If the students come to the live chat many of the question they email or call to inquire about could be answer during the live chat. Some of my students email me before they listen to the archive chat. During the live chats, I ask the students to listen to the archive before emailing questions.

Sign In to comment