Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

show & tell, tell & show

Hospitality & the workplace laws can get, well rather dull if all you do is lecture right out of the book & only do reading assignments. We break it up and make it more realistic - how it applies to the everyday workplace our students will soon be entering.

TELL: Taking a short amount of time to go over the material at hand using the traditional powerpoint to underscore what the reading assignment in the textbook covered.
SHOW: highlighting where in the real world this material comes into play - then handing it over to the students.
the hands on students go online in the classroom, right on the projector, for all to view - letting the students decide what current event is applicable to the hospitality workplace laws - there is always something in the news.
The students break into groups and write a quick report on the event, researching what laws appy to the establishment in the news.

DO:

For me, effective "show and tell, tell and show" involves bringing in industry leaders to dicuss what they do. I believe it enhances the learnign environment, especially when the leaders emphasize the need for organized, prompt and prepared students.

Show and tell gives the students a great opportunity to learn about their field from a different point of view. and it also opens up the floor for discussion about things that may not be covered in ordinary lecture time

Hi Betsy!

A very elementary concept - literally. Just think how many times young children have the opportunity to show and tell. It ties them to the real world of learning. So why can't adults do this as well????

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I think show and tell is great for the student who like to get up front and talk. When class mates like them it can make for good learning.

I like your show and tell method, it also helps to break up lecture when the students and see something but also touch something, better if it is somewere else in the room and allows the students to move.

I find that this teaching methods allows students to teach students about some of the things they have learned or already know.

I feel that it is also contagious...once a student shares a "real life" experience, it seems as if everyone has a story to contribute! With so many examples, it makes it easier to circle back to the main teaching point and the students can see how the material in the classroom translates to everyday situations.

Hi Paul!

I think bringing industry leaders in is very important as well. I do; however, think that allowing students to be creative and provide something they feel would be a contribution is also very valuable - especially within course topic.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I like show and tell, students learn from each other and it prompts great discussion questions.

Show and tell is by fat the easiest way to get massive of people to learn various skill sets on any topics.

Sign In to comment