Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Seating, Music and Aroma In The Classroom

I love the ideas for seating arrangements, the togetherness feeling is welcoming for our school because we enter new students with previous students. Music can bring attention to long dry information such as legal issues. Aroma is a great idea, I will try cinnamon to encourage and orange to calm this term.

Hi Joan!

So - what we are saying is that when all sense are engaged, learning becomes more optimal.

I haven't tried aroma - other than having a "plug in" in the room just to freshen it up. But I plan to do something a little different.

Good job and keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Hi,
Aromatics could be very interesting. I am a chef
while it could be very interesting but also distracting. The aromas can be very strong
Mark

First day of class i bake some cookies, it eases the tension of the room by being something familiar.

Then they get to eat them on the way out which gives them a good feeling and makes them look forward to our next day

I agree some of our students and myself suffer from migraines so some smells can trigger this. but it is very interesting

I love the idea of seating arrangements as well & recently changed the layout of my classroom, got a great response from both my colleages & my students. Our school also allows new students to enter into classes with previously attending studentsch makes it a bit difficult at times. I did however notice that the new layout works great! Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Lastly, unfortunately becuase of the nature of the classroom (Lab) I am limited to what I am able to do do in regards to scents / aroma. I'd love the scent of cinnamon as opposed to the sterile scent of alcohol!

I agree seating, music and aroma in the classroom helps students to relax and not feel so stressed at times.

Hi Alyson!

Just another reminder about how much we need to know about our students!

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Hi Grace!

Used appropriately, seating, music and aroma in the classroom can certainly be conducive to learning. I don't think we should set a spa atmosphere! :-)

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
Ed107 Facilitator

I am intrigued with the use of aroma in the classroom. I think the aroma method would be more agreeable than the music. I love the music idea as well, but I feel my students would oppose it due to the type of music that is required for the optimal effect. As migraines go, there are aromas that are used to relieve them.My quest now leads me to find out which aromas to use.

Hi Regena!

I really like the idea of providing calming conditions for learning. But instructors have to be sensitive to all students' needs, which can be difficult some times and will vary from class to class.

Another thought on aromas is that people with allergies are often not able to stand any type of aroma.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

like picking a house, i love to allow students to pick their own personal space while learning in the classroom. in the lab i frequently use various aromas to encourage interest on the topic of the or recipes, which i find equalizes many learning style challenges.

I love the ideas for seating arrangements, the togetherness feeling is welcoming for our school because we enter new students with previous students. Music can bring attention to long dry information such as legal issues. Aroma is a great idea, I will try cinnamon to encourage and orange to calm this term.

I find music to be calming and also energizing as well. I also like the idea of using aromas and will try to implement that into the learning environment.

I think the use of the pods seating arrangement has worked best for me in the past as it really helps students to interact with each other and engage more in the class room. It is also great for different activities. I like to bring in certain plants with great smells like honey suckle and lavender as these really help the student relate to nature and te smells are also very calming and help learning

I like playing music in the classroom, but as a pregnant instructor, I advise to not bring in food! Certain aromas can make students sick, preggers or not

Sign In to comment