Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

color in the classroom

Since my class covers basics of design color is an element that must be integrated into my curriculum focus....ttherefore. color is seen as essential to communication of ideas..and..thru vvisual aids relative to color wheel format and harmony use in design, students learn the value of this tool. I bring in examples of artwwork where color is varied..from Fauves to Impressionism..folow up with field trips where color combines with other aspects of design. Students become aware of the psychological as well as physical use of color.

A room with various colors is like a room with sunshine. The colors stimulate the mind and students need stimulation. We try everything in the classroom to motivate and stimulate their learning using colors on the walls , on paper, or as the reading suggest a colorful cup on the desk, anything that will help. I find during my lectures using dry erase with different colors helps to bring my point across.

Sounds good, as long as it is not overwhelming. Looks like you will have a fun class. Did you ever read about the attempts to make penitentiaries relaxing with all-pink walls? The prisoners couldn't take it. Pink clothing maybe worked better:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/oct/11/usa.danglaister

Variety is indeed the spice of life.

I teach where the colors have all been pre-selected by someone who doesn't understand the use of color. I am also not in the same room every day. Anything to add color would have to be brought in on a daily basis.

I totally agree that the use of color is important in teaching and learning activities. It is important for students to be able to categorize items of learning. The use of color can do that well. I am teaching epidemiology (yikes!) and I use colors to identify different indicies. It helps the students group together different ideas and helps to define and delineate the reasons for their similarities and their differences.

Ann ,
it really is amazing how the use of colors can help with memory & retention.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment