Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A small classroom?

How can one inprove the learning enviroment whith a small class room? Can the classroom be to small to help with learning?

Using the techniques from this lesson, at what point can the room (especially a small one) become too "busy" or possibly even a distraction?

Another good question Theodore!

To all ED107 participants - how would you answer this question?

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I work in a smaller room now. I like the closeness and have the students work together as teams. Hands on with learning new tasks works well together.

Don't bring attention to the size of the room. Engage the students with the wealth of knowledge you have and the size of the classroom won't matter.

The limitations of a small classroom are difficult with larger classes. I use the empathy that "we are all in this together" and that this is a difficulty that we need to overcome together to gain empathy, increase a sense of belonging and shared expierence to increase the belief that the team or class can "do anything, anywhere."

I agree. I actually prefer smaller classrooms over huge rooms. In big rooms students have the tendency to sit far apart. I often ask them to re-arrange the tables.

Rearranging the desks to form a U shape makes the classroom seem larger and adds to the "community learning" aspect of the course. It facilitates discussion as do one or two posters and the day's agenda written on the white board.

Currently we have no music in classrooms or lab.

I think the a smaller class lets you interact more with the students

A small classroom has an advantage in that it is easier for the instructor to walk back and forth, engaging everyone. But the disadvantage is to not being able to rearrange the seating as much as you might want to. Although I will allow my students to choose where they sit, I will often assign "groups" during activities. This will force people to stand up and move to their "group location." I think getting up and moving throughout the room helps with engagement.

Sign In to comment