Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Personal Issues and the Classroom

How do I engage my students in learning when they're distracted by personal problems?

Angelica
This is definitely a challenge. One thing I like to do, is start the class by allowing the students to pair up & talk a little about their current struggles or what may potentially distract them from class today. This acknowledges that they have a life outside of class & by expressing it, often they are better able to set it aside & focus on the content.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree I will speak with my students breifly about issues ouside of the classroom. And I have recommended that if life is really a struggle outside of school, then to try and separate the two. When at shcool focus on only school, and when at home focus on only home. this may require staying after school to finish assignments but it sometimes to helps to refocus the class on prioritizing.

Shron,
this is good advice & especially the idea of staying at the school building. If home or work or whatever is a significant distraction, don't try & get work done in those areas.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

thank you for sharing this fgreat idea. i am going to use this in class next quarter

Have them set a goal for the day. If they are concentrating on meeting that goal it is a good distraction.

If it is a real distraction, I will pull to student out of the class and let them know that we are there to support them. If it is a more urgent issue, I will direct them to my program supervisor or the Director of Education.

My classes usually consist of students from difficult backgrounds. These students are trying to improve their lives and their families lives. They often carry a great burdens and heavy responsibilities.If I see a student who is struggling with personal issues I try to draw them aside and see if they will tell me what is going on. Many times, just having a person to talk to is helpful. On the first day of my classes I remind the students to leave their personal issues at the door, sometimes even having a trash container there, that this is their time and that they should make the most of it.

I teach my students that as in the work place and right now in the classroom, the students need to seperate their personal problems and present a professional profile onto their peers and co-workers. Bring in negative attitudes can influence the entire work or school environment.

Sign In to comment