Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Interactive group learning

The one thing I have found to work well is to get the students to work in groups. Perform an interactive presentation of the topic, sharing personal experiences which gives the students the realization that you are human too. Once the information is delivered, have the students work together in small groups using the information given,as well as step by step manual procedures to achieve their goal. There are stopping points to verify their progress as well as answer questions they may have. Getting their hands on the product immediately is a great learning tool.

I agree 100% with you. As a Home Health nurse I can bring my days visits into the classroom and tie it to that nights lab or lecture.

I agree that group learning is good. Students interact differently with each other than with instructors. I think they feel more relaxed and more willing to contribute.

I took a college course on group dynamics. We had group discussions and then the instructor critiqued us. It was amazing how much there is to learn about group discussions. But, I am a person who prefers to learn by discussion rather than lecture. Even bad group dynamics is a learning experience and allows personal involvement and other views to consider.

Yes, the "bad" experiences can be powerful learning experiences. When we act more like facilitators & help the students absorb learning from these situations, then we help them learn from many situations.
Ryan

I agree that students learn more when they are allowed to work on projects or study together. It's as though the strengths of some help the weaknesses of others. The positive students present a challenge for those that have problems applying themselves. This increases the level of interest in the classroom.

Carolyn,
yes, group projects can be a great tool to help with learning.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I use teams to do hands-on work. For the most part students with some experience or learn from the instruction start by doing most of the work. As we progress most of them start backing-off and the ones that were not as versed in the work pick it up and in the end find out they know more than they thought the did. It also works paper work assignments. I encourage them to team-up and not suffer alone. A drawback is sometimes people will try to loaf. I watch for loafers and hve them put into a position of having to do some work

Sign In to comment