Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

No show first day students.

How do we deal with students who allways miss the first day of class? I have found a realy bad traight forming among my younger students (18-25)
that they feel as if it is our job to repeat all the intro information given on the first day!

I agree with the trend that you are commenting on, I have been seeing as well. I have found that bending over backwards to help them is just as bad as telling them nothing. I have balanced this a little by getting them to buy in to taking responsibility for thier absence. In doing that they are accepting the responsibility for all of the hard work it will take them to catch up. The consequences will catch up to them quickly, but they will have to accept those as well.

Good morning Theodore and David!

Great question and David I really appreciate your firm approach.

As I was reading Theodore's question, I, too, was thinking about consequences of one's own actions. Instructors/facilitators are in a classroom to help students achieve positive outcomes which assits them in making positive life choices.

It is ultimately a student's responsibility to be present and prepared - instructors responsibility to be perpared, informative and - again - the facilitator of learning.

From an information sharing standpoint, I always make sure that students who are absent get printed materials from missed classes and make myself available - by appointment - to answer questions.

Firm but resonable is my approach.

Theordore, how do you plan to handle this situation that is invaribly going to occur?

Keep up the good work.

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

When the students who missed the first day arrive to class on the second day, I give them their paperwork and a very brief explanation and then treat them as I do the students who were there the day before. I tell them they are responsible for getting any notes from fellow students. When the quizzes are graded on that Friday the students who missed the first day usually do very poorly. After they see their quiz grade they make a point to be in class on time.

Hi Joshua!

It sounds like we read the same instuctor the manual - I use same approach but I do provide students the opportunity to meet with moe by appointment only, if they have questiions.

Good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

The incident of students not showing up on the first day of class seems to be on the increase. Our program runs 17 classes long and each class runs 3 weeks long. Each class starts with review of school policy and rules so a lot of students just feel they do not need to hear it again and do not come to class on the first day. To combat this epidemic we had decided to place at least two “LAB” activities in the first day, these activities need to be done in the classroom/lab environment therefore cannot be made up and turned in later resulting in a ‘0” grade for those lab assignments. If the student is a student who usually has a higher grade point average he usually does not want to take the hit for those points which would lower his grade. If the student is a lower grade point average student he knows that he cannot afford to start off behind the “8” ball and it forces him to come to class. All classes adopted this theory so students will show up on the first day. If a student presents a verifiable reason for missing the first day he may be allowed to make up the assignments but there cannot be a pattern of first day out in his history.

I have students in my class for four three week segments. At the end of each segment I make it clear to those students who will be returning, that the first day of the next segment will include information specific to that segment along with the usual "new start" information. If they miss that material, it will place them at a distinct disadvantage when it comes time to perform and be assessed at hands-on tasks.

Hi David!

Very nice approach. I believe students like to know and expect to know what is expected of them.

Good job!

Jane DAvis
ED107 Facilitator

I inform them that the information they have miss is important.That it is also the foundation to there final goals.That the habits the employer are also looking at.

Hi Frank!

Good approach - one suggestion that I might add is make yourself available - by appointment - if students have questions.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I attempt to phone students who are absent day 1. When they show up in class (hopefully on day 2) I give them a syllabus that shows the material they missed the first day and let thme know I am available either before or after class to talk about any issues they might have. I make it clear that it is their responsibility to cover day 1.

First day absenteeism has been a growing issue with the growing sense of entitlement, there are many good suggestions mentioned in this string, I have been seemingly successful employing these strategies; be proactive, seek out your next class, in person if possible or by email, give or send them the syllabus in advance. Make that personal connection with the individual, stress the importance of being present on the first day and those who do not are at a significant disadvantage to those who do participate on the first day. Holding an important or exciting exercise on the first day can peek interest (on the first day of class, after reviewing class syllabus and class expectations, I went on a field trip, appropriate to the objectives of the class). I do not think penalizing a students GPA by having a quiz or graded exercise outside of normal daily participation is a good way to bring in students for first day lessons, I do use a non graded pre test to help assess and stimulate knowledge the students will be exposed to during the course. Calling absent students is a good way to show personal concern, and if done on a regular basis by the entire faculty, could cause some students to show on the first day simply to avoid "the call" from Prof. Smith. Finally being available for students during scheduled office hours is one way of getting a student who has missed vital first day info, but I prefer to put the responsibility on the student and will partner them up with another volunteer student to go over the information, then I will follow up to see what information was exchanged. This also gives me the opportunity to assess myself and see if all the information I wanted to get across did, or what points I could emphasize greater or communicate differently.

Hi James!

Excellent approach!

I like to connect with students prior to first class - it does seem to break the ice and add some excitment and enthusiasm. Penalizing students just to make a point is never successful but allowing them to take responsibility for themselves is the best course of action.

Keep up the good work.

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

i agree i don't spend to much time repeating the information from the first day. i usually give them the handouts and go over the policy on attendance and let me know how missing a day will impact their grade. i usually send them an email or phone message the day of absence that it is their responsability to get the information/notes from their classmate when they return to class.

I dio the same. Talking with the students before they take the class lets you get to know them and they you. You then can explain to them that the first day is the most important to get all the information to make you successful in class

On the first day they have to take a test and we give them the same test on the last day if the student is absent one of the 2 days we take 50% of the final test

I teach night school classes that typically end at nearly 10pm. If they miss the first class (or are late) they have to stick around after to get the syllabus and schedule and to ask questions. Keeping them late usually only has to happen once. But, of course, they can't know that up front so it really doesn't prevent them from no-showing for the first class. Bottom line is this is college, folks, and the responsibility is theirs to get the material. Everyone else shouldn't have to slow down for the ones who are late or didn't show.

I send out a "welcome" email to all students.
This way, I can tell them a bit about the class, and I have the opportunity to emphasize the importance of being present DAY 1.
Believe it or not, it works!
I also review (briefly) the material in the beg. of every class session and distribute handouts from the last session. Plus, I encourage students to contact me via email with any questions they may have.

I also try to send out a welcome email as often as possible. In it I cover what we will be doing day one and any tools they may need to bring. I have found since doing this that more of my students come to the first day and come prepared! For those who do miss, I am in accord with many of the other replies. I give them a copy of the printed material, remind them of the effect a missed day can have on their grade (in a 14 day term, 1 day makes a huge difference) and let them know when i am avalible if they have additional questions. Since our classes tend to move pretty quickly, the student can be pretty lost that first day back and will usually do anything to avoid that feeling again.

Hi Christine!

Great job! The earlier we connect - the smoother the first few class sessions go.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Sign In to comment