Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hands on learning

I teach electrical wiring so we do a lot of hands on wiring and testing. We also take them out on wiring of old and new buildings to teach them codes.

Hi Allen, Thanks for your post to the forum. Great idea to take students out in the field to view applications! Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career.

Susan Polick

I teach dental assisting and we have a fully functional lab. They not only receive 2 hours of lecture each night but 2 hours of hands on in the lab. We find they are much more confidant when they go on extern.

In a technical school or trade school I find it best that people learn better with hand on.

I feel that hands on is a excellent way to learn your skill of choice.

A written test only shows what a person has applied to memory. To apply the skill, the hands-on of manipulating (such as machinery) shows their cognitive ability and motor-skills.

I teach an HVAC program where we need to break it down part by part first explain the part, how it works, how it is used than add in the next part.
when all the pieces have been covered we can go into shop and use hands on the see the part in use. i can replace the good part with a no functioning part and show them troubleshooting and or replacing.

Most of my students are tactile learners. I find a way to evaluate is to use graphics to evaluate components of study as well as, multiple choice and true/false questions. Basically mix it up.

I found out that before you just throw on your students hands on material I always go over them with mu students.

I agree, a student could be great at written tests but lacking in the skill area. And a student could do horribly on written tests but be excellent at their skills.

Sign In to comment