Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Written test?

I have found written test is very challenging for students and it is also very time consuming for me in grading. Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this without the time constraints?

Hi Brooke - Good question! I rely on grading rubrics with essay tests. They seem to speed up my grading and feedback process because I have a firm idea of what I am looking for in the questions. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

I prefer written tests as well.. Mainly short answer and essays. I want to give students an opportunity to articulate what they've learned and to write it correctly as well.. We usually require students to use APA format and provide tools for them to learn this writing style.

I have used short answer written tests for terminology sections which have a definite answer, but I allow the student to use the term in a sentence to show critical thinking and understanding of the term. These are short tests and unfortunately have to be frequently given. The students really like these.

Hi Mary - Thanks for your post to the forum. Excellent testing strategy! Having students demonstrate their comprehension of the concepts is ideal. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

I have found that different types of test allow the students to examine theis strengths and weakness.

Sign In to comment