Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ways to give a class a review for a test

Does anyone have any fun ways to perform a review for the test that involves everyone and not just the one who know the material

In our clases we use a "study-guide" of which the students are responsible to complete. I like to review them as an "open-class"; with each student taking turns answering questions. This way not only am I sure that their study guides are complete; but eveyone participates in a review before the quiz/test or as I prefer to call them: memory assessments.

Hi Robert - I really like the idea of the "Study Guides" especially because the students are responsible for putting them together. That way the student will probably use methods that work best for them. Pictures vs. text etc. Best wishes! Susan

Hi Arlene - We often play games like Jeopardy or Family Feud to practice reviews. Form the teams to mix the stronger students with the weaker ones. Best wishes! Susan

That's a great idea. I vaguely remember doing something like that and I totally forgot about it. Yeah!

One fun thing I have discovered is a game. I mock the "Jepordy" game. I team up the class into several teams. They choose a spokes person to push the button so to speak. Everyone on the team has input to the correct answer. There are several way to play. Powerpoint, slides, white board, etc. can be adapted.

Hi Scott - Games really can make learning fun. We also use Jeopardy. Our Electronics students rigged up buzzers to usr that make it even more realistic. Too bad the prizes aren't as real! Best wishes - Susan

We've played Jeopardy\Chefardy as a final review and have the students form two teams and use the final exam material for the answers and the students answer in the form of a question. This game allows for all students to participate and allows the students to see how much they have already learned or need to study.

I use Jeopardy it really involves the students and is a fun and effective way to review materials.

Hi Kimberly- I love that new version of the game - "Chefardy"!! Very Creative! Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

class review can be inmany forms depending on the setting. In the kitchen class, review can be show and tell, smell , touch and sight. We also use our index cards and go around the room . Food product identity.
in Academics, using review of the notes, a open question / answer session. A list of pointes questions that narrow down the chapter to be tested

I do not review for a quiz because it seems that I am just giving them the awnsers. However we too have study guides and I think this is something I might try.

HI Kristine- Welcome to Ed 103! Your pre-test review is quite comprehensive! Best wiehes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Do you find that some students take over the game and some students shrink from the competition?

Hi Paul - Welcome to ED 103! Yes - that is sometimes a problem with using games in class. It helps if you form the teams with that in mind. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career! Susan

I have fun game to play for a recap of the chapter. It is called sticky ball and is play with target on the board and 10 sticky balls. You can buy the balls at wallyworld. Break the class into three groups, like left,center, and right sides of the class. You need about 30 or so
questions. Start of with group one, asking a question of them. They can discuss it between themselves and then give a you they aswser. Have a student keep track of the score. The target has different scores on it. The group that wins get Jolly Ranchers.

Hi Donald - Welcome to ED 103! Can I play?? LOL That sounds like a lot of fun - Thanks for sharing! Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

arlene:maybe you can split your class into teams allow them to compete againat each other, on a point system and the winners get bouns points toward their quiz grade?

Hi, Sometimes to review I ask each student to pick an item and describe/talk about it. If they don't answercorrectly, I ask them possible questions to direct them into the answer.I think this helps because the can affirm what they do know and if they are unsure, others see this and feel more at ease with being unsure themselves.

Hi Ann - Thanks for your post to the forum. I also try to help students arrive at the correct answer rather than just moving on to another students or supplying the correct answer myself. It really helps a student's self-esteem if they can do that. Best wishes - Susan

Sign In to comment