Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Test Anxiety

In our steel welding class we have several skill based application projects. We had a problem with the scores on an industry based welding test. It had clear timelines and procedures. We starting doing part of the course lab required welding projects in the same formart to reduce the "test pressure" on the students. This has increased the industry test completion rate by almost 20%.

This seems like a very good idea. My situation is a little different. I'm in a position where we have to prepare our students to pass Microsoft and ComTIA certification tests. The majority of our students are much more comfortable with hands-on situations than actual testing. Give them a simulation or actual situation and they can complete what we call a practical exam with little or no problems. When it comes to written exams, thats a totally different animal. The anxiety level with these students is so high it is almost unbelieveable. What I have been doing with these students, is working individually with them, by giving them simulations of what the actual exams are. I also take them into the exam room with a laptop, where they can take my simulation tests in the same environment as the actual certification exam is given. They are in a 6x6 ft. room with a camera, no windows and no distractions. I work with them as long as it takes to overcome their fear. I have found this to work with the majority of my problem test takers. it has also increased the pass ratio for the certification tests that we require our students to pass.

Joe- I think we may adapt some of your certification testing anxiety solutions - excellent!

Susan,
Thank You,
I think that you will find that it does work. It took me awhile when i first started this practise, but the results far out weighed the time and commitment it took on my part. It was one of the reasons for my promotion.

I am also going to look into doing this. I do get students with test anxiety. I have been doing other things to try and calm them down but I really like this. Thank you!!

I find that taking tutoring time I can do a mock final lab with different tasks than what the real final is does help the more nerves type students. They tend to not be as nerves for the real final.

I really like this idea. I think even though some students may have a firm grasp on test material, the word "TEST" sometimes may "scare" the information outta them so to speak. Taking tests in close simulation to "real-world" or "real world certification" tests make the student feel as if it were any other test they have already taken. Kind of like "business as usual" mentallity

Anxiety is generally reduced by familiarity. When students have an opportunity to practice skills in the same format(as they will be tested in) they will generally be less anxious. Also allowing students to have an opportunity to succeed when not under the pressure of the actual exam will give them a sense of confidence setting them up for a more positive outcome.

Sign In to comment