Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using different test types

I find that mixing the different methodologies of testing types with one examination gives me a more comprehensive ability to evaluate student's understanding of the materials I have taught.

Mixing up the different methodolgies in one quiz or exam is more effictive in evaluating the student's comprehension. I find that the reading level of most of the students taking the test is very low, I don't know if it is a language barrier or if it is just the learning level. We have changed the exam several times only to have the same poor results. When asked, the student say they haven't the time to study or they just don't care too. We haven't lowered our standards because those who do study do well. What is the answer? The students do well with the practical exam but when it comes to the written it just isn't there.

I tend to agree. If the material we just covered tells us that each test has certain strengths and certain weaknesses, then why not craft a test using various techniques in order to get the most well rounded exam.

We have covered how to design the delivery of our course content to best serve the various learning styles. Isn't it likely that certain students will do better with certain types of exams?

It's a good idea all around. It offers equal and fair advantage to the variety of test takers in a classroom. As well, it provides multiple ways of looking at content that a student may not yet understand wholly.

i agree also w/this comment. i find that the students will be better prepared if they know that there will be a variety of question-types on the test.

I like using different tests so students don't have a way to get a copy of a test you use all the time

Seem like a lot of us are thinking about this topic. What if we have the students write one question each on each chapter of the material or book and then we summarize the best of each into a final exam?

I agree with mixing different methodologies. This gives each student the opportunity to use his or her learning style as well

I agree with this as well. Sometimes, I will use one type of test for quiz purposes and then a different type for the final exam.

I think the students are weak in test taking skills. In addtion, they don't allow themselves enough time to complete the test. They rush through and guess rather than trying to uderstand the questions. Also, the language barrier is also a problem that might scare them as well as comprehension.

If I ever get the opportunity to write a quiz, I'll be sure to use the tips and ideas shown here

If the majority of the class has one particular learning style and you focus on that when it comes to testing, (even though you also incorporate the other styles), wouldn't the minority feel that your testing was discriminating and biased?

I agree on this. I usually try to give at least one type of each style test out so students have a chance or I try to blend styles together. Then we also have hands on practical examinations. The students never like the essay portion of the test, but once they get a chance to explain their answer they are happy.

Hi Joseph - Welcome to ED 103! You are doinga good job using various assessmments. I agree that most students dislike essay tests, but they do serve a purpose! Best wishes! Susan

Sign In to comment