Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When students don't ask questions after or during lectures

It is my understanding that the instructor should have some questions already prepared which will help with keeping the flow of the class going and will with getting the students involved.

Hi Michael, Thanks for your post to the forum. Absolutely, we do need to include prepared questions in our lesson plans. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career.

Susan Polick

A well prepared instructor should always have questions prepared

I agree with having questions already prepared. I usually do but there are times when a student asks a question off topic or discussion takes us to another concept which I allow the students to float for a little and I'll ask questions on the spot; spontaneous questions. Is this wrong? The students seem to be interested so I let it happen. I enjoy the participation and intrigue and then I'll go back to lecture. Can this form of questioning be just as effective?

Hi Katrina, Absolutely effective! As long as the discussion does not go to far and too long from the topic at hand.

Susan Polick

When teaching I try to have activities planned as well. So, if the students do not have any questions, I will hand out a worksheet that asks questions to be answered through their reading material, or assign short research topics to small groups of students.

Hi Tracy, Thanks for your post to the forum. That's a good example of advance planning! Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career.

Susan Polick

I like the idea of using a prepared list of questions, as well as having some backup activities to do. Thinking on your feet is definitely a skill used in teaching. But it's best to be prepared.

Hi Jennifer, Thanks for your post to the forum. Yes, we always need to think about the questions ill ask as we prepare lesson plans. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career.

Susan Polick

Sign In to comment