Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gettings students to engage in classroom discussion

When I make an effort to get students involved in various classroom discussions, I first try to gain as much personal information as I can about each individual; at least what they’re willing to share. When we have specific discussions, I try to relate the questions to the things that they have interest in i.e. hobbies, life experiences, life goals, etc… This will encourage the student to contribute more, and they’re more willing to participate because they can relate to the discussion somehow. This is my reasoning behind getting to know all of my students.

I really like to use this tactic for the students that are normally quiet and bashful, this somewhat forces them to participate in discussions because I’ve related the question to something that they’re familiar with.

I also try to relate the questions personally for the students and what their goals are. And if I ask a question and get the group of blank stares, I will sort of answer the question myself and my own story or experience, and that will usually spur them into telling their own stories.

Hi Kara- Thanks for your post to the forum. Yes, asking students how the question may realts to their own experiences is a great way to get them engaged! Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

I find that it is easy to get students to talk about their own personal experiences if you are having a hard time getting them to participate in classroom discussion.

Hi Gary - Thanks for your post to the forum. Yes, students do enjoy talking about their experiences and so if we can weave the concepts that we are teaching into what they already know we get them involved! Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Most people love to talk about their personal experiences and themselves. A good ice breaker.

Hi Angela - Thanks for your post to the forum. Yes, almost always being able to relate their own experiences to the concepts being taught gets students involved. Getting to know our students well enough to mention what we have learned about their experience or to ask them specific questions that we know in advance will relate to their experience is especially effective. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Sign In to comment